R&D Test Engineer
Backed by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Chris Sacca’s Lowercarbon Capital, Antora Energy turns sunshine and wind into a reliable, on-demand source of zero-carbon heat and power to enable deep decarbonization of industry and the electric grid. Propelled by a world-class team that includes leaders in their fields, Antora will eliminate gigatons of emissions while increasing U.S. energy security, reducing our dependence on global supply chains, supporting well-paying jobs, and protecting marginalized communities from industrial pollution.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. Our people are our most valuable asset, and we are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to providing clean, reliable, and affordable energy to everyone on earth. People join our team to do the most fulfilling and impactful work of their lives on climate change. Join one of the world’s most transformative climate tech companies. We’re ready to decarbonize the global economy. Are you?
We are seeking a self-driven and passionate individual to join our solid-state thermal battery systems engineering team to deliver zero-carbon industrial heat and power. We are a tight-knit team that values building lifelong relationships with humility and openness while having an impact and loving what we do. You will collaborate with the rest of the engineering team to help operate, automate and maintain Antora’s R&D prototypes and test equipment. This work will directly contribute to the commercialization of a first of a kind long-duration energy storage technology.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Design, implement, and operate high-value sensing, instrumentation and control schemes for custom test rigs at Antora’s R&D hub in San Jose, CA
- Operate, and develop systems to automate, high power (hundreds of kW to MW), high temperature (>2000C) R&D test equipment
- Work closely with controls and electrical team to design and maintain instrumentation lists and wiring diagrams, as well as write, test and maintain controls algorithms and software
- Work closely with mechanical design and advanced technology teams to design and execute high value experiments for product development
- Evaluate and calibrate sensors and instruments for use in both R&D and product applications
- Troubleshoot signal communications and data quality issues
- Collaborate with mechanical, electrical, controls, and advanced development teams to interpret product development goals and turn them into functioning systems
- Maintain a high level of safety awareness and implement critical safety interlocks into controls schemes
- Work with a high degree of autonomy while remaining open to deliver and receive feedback
- 3+ years as a test automation, test, or controls engineer for high-temperature, high-power industrial systems (energy, thermal processing rockets, etc.) in a fast moving environment with exposure to a wide array of subsystems (fluids, thermal, electrical etc.) and instrumentation (TC/RTD, optical sensors, load gauges, flow meters, etc).
- 2+ years experience with common communication industrial communication protocols (Ethernet/IP, Modbus, Profinet, HART, CAN, etc.)
- Solid knowledge of engineering fundamentals (thermal, fluids, electrical, structural) to support test engineering group with troubleshooting and data interpretation
- Experience troubleshooting test equipment and coming up with quick solutions
- Experience working with engineering teams to root cause failures
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, comfortable communicating with all levels of the organization
- Comfortable providing and receiving directions and feedback from engineers and technicians across the organization
- BS degree in engineering or equivalent
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Comfortable with hand tools (drills, saws, torque wrench, etc.) and characterization equipment (multimeter, gas sensors, microscopes, etc.)
- Willingness to work flexible hours to accommodate test priorities
- Experience with fluidic and thermal systems, Solidworks, MATLAB, and data post-processing
Salary Range: $130,000 USD - $150,000 USD
Salary Basis: Annual
This job posting contains the salary range that Antora Energy believes it would be willing to pay for the posted job. The actual salary offered will be determined within the posted range based on a candidate's experience, credentials, and expertise as they pertain to the requirements of the position.
In addition to a competitive base salary, Antora Energy’s Total Rewards program includes a premium health benefits package with life and disability insurance, a 401K plan, a flexible spending account, industry leading paid time off policy, providing a flexible and inclusive holiday observance, as well as paid volunteer time off.