Sr. Mechanical Engineer (Equipment)
Backed by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Chris Sacca’s Lowercarbon Capital, Antora Energy turns sunshine and wind into a reliable, on-demand source of zero-carbon heat and power to enable deep decarbonization of industry and the electric grid. Propelled by a world-class team that includes leaders in their fields, Antora will eliminate gigatons of emissions while increasing U.S. energy security, reducing our dependence on global supply chains, supporting well-paying jobs, and protecting marginalized communities from industrial pollution.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. Our people are our most valuable asset, and we are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to providing clean, reliable, and affordable energy to everyone on earth. People join our team to do the most fulfilling and impactful work of their lives on climate change. Join one of the world’s most transformative climate tech companies. We’re ready to decarbonize the global economy. Are you?
We are seeking a self-driven and passionate individual to join our engineering team to deliver zero-carbon industrial heat and power with our novel solid state thermal battery. We are a tight-knit team that loves what we do and we strive to have an impact, working with humility and openness while building lifelong relationships along the way. The Mechanical Engineer (Thermal & Fluid Systems) will scope, define, design, deliver, and validate the integrated balance-of-plant (BOP) system for Antora Energy’s thermal energy storage projects across test and commercial sites. You will be a key technical member of a cross-functional and rapidly growing organization. Your work will directly contribute to the testing and commercial deployment of an innovative long-duration energy storage technology.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Define and own integrated equipment, piping, and structure engineering requirements and specifications that meet product & commercial requirements for performance and cost.
- Perform quick engineering trade-off case studies that balance performance, cost, and schedule to drive architecture alignment.
- Generate and review specifications of key equipment (pumps, valves, fittings, tanks, vessels, heat exchangers, instrumentation).
- Collaborate with electrical and controls teams to aid in system integration.
- Collaborate on key deliverables: PFDs, P&IDs, 3D piping design, etc. for FEED and FEL1 engineering packages.
- Play a key role in PHAs, HAZOP, SIMOPS, and/or HAZID workshops.
- Drive Life Cycle Cost analysis for Antora’s commercial and R&D/Demonstration project installations.
- Oversee the assembly and setup of prototypes, and production units
- Up to 25% to 50% travel to partners (EPCs), equipment & skid manufacturers, and customer sites, depending on project phase.
- Bachelors or equivalent in an engineering field (e.g. mechanical, industrial, process, chemical, etc.) and/or 8+ years’ experience in industrial applications engineering (oil & gas, chemicals, power plants, etc.).
- Experience with industrial mechanical equipment: Pressure Vessels, Pumps, Heat Exchangers, Air Coolers, Fans, Tanks, Piping, Valves.
- Working knowledge of industrial mechanical design codes. ASME Section I and VIII, Div. 1, ASME B31.1 and B31.3, API 650, API 610, TEMA, ASTM.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills, ability to think about problems from a first-principles perspective for heat transfer, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics.
- Experience working independently, as well as working in a team-orientated and fast-paced startup-like environment.
- Proven ability to lead and operate comfortably across many engineering disciplines (e.g. mechanical, electrical, thermal, fluids, controls).
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Experience commissioning of process plants or other industrial facilities
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, Modular Assembly, and Plant Maintenance
- Familiarity with 3D CAD, 2D drawings
- Holds a PE in related discipline
- Technical writing. Equipment specifications, technical reports
- Vendor and client relations
Salary Range: $165,000 USD - $180,000 USD
Salary Basis: Annual
This job posting contains the salary range that Antora Energy believes it would be willing to pay for the posted job. The actual salary offered will be determined within the posted range based on a candidate's experience, credentials, and expertise as they pertain to the requirements of the position.
In addition to a competitive base salary, Antora Energy’s Total Rewards program includes a premium health benefits package with life and disability insurance, a 401K plan, a flexible spending account, industry leading paid time off policy, providing a flexible and inclusive holiday observance, as well as paid volunteer time off.