Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Backed by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Chris Sacca’s Lowercarbon Capital, Antora Energy turns sunshine and wind into a reliable, on-demand source of zero-carbon heat and power to enable deep decarbonization of industry and the electric grid. Propelled by a world-class team that includes leaders in their fields, Antora will eliminate gigatons of emissions while increasing U.S. energy security, reducing our dependence on global supply chains, supporting well-paying jobs, and protecting marginalized communities from industrial pollution.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. Our people are our most valuable asset, and we are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to providing clean, reliable, and affordable energy to everyone on earth. People join our team to do the most fulfilling and impactful work of their lives on climate change. Join one of the world’s most transformative climate tech companies. We’re ready to decarbonize the global economy. Are you?
Learn more about us HERE
Are you a talented Engineer with experience in furnaces and graphite environments? Are you ready to take on an exciting challenge, applying your expertise to directly influence the development of a groundbreaking combined heat and power (CHP) long-duration energy storage product? If so, we invite you to join our team at Antora Energy.
We have pioneered a novel approach utilizing Thermophotovoltaic (TPV) panels to harvest thermal energy from our unique Thermal Energy Storage (TES) system and convert it to electrical power. This role will focus on designing, executing and analyzing tests that help us understand the impacts of this unique environment on TPV panels.
You will collaborate with a dedicated group of engineers who are not only experts in their field but also embody Antora's core values of humility, openness, and joy. This is your chance to be part of something transformative, where your skills and passion will drive innovation and shape the future of sustainable energy solutions.
Join us in making a difference and be at the forefront of cutting-edge technology.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Materials testing: Design and execute experiments to assess the outgassing properties of various carbon materials. Identify and employ appropriate metrology methods to probe and understand deposition mechanisms and compositions.
- Gas blanket testing: Design and execute experiments to evaluate the impact of gas curtains on the deposition of outgassed materials onto cooled substrates, aiding in the optimization of our processes.
- Furnace Management: Spearhead the specification and commissioning of test furnaces by thoroughly comprehending their unique requirements. Collaborate closely with vendors and Antora's facilities team to ensure successful installation and commissioning. Identify and implement hardware upgrades to enhance functionality or user-friendliness.
- Furnace Operation: Take full ownership of furnace operation. Provide comprehensive training to new users.
- Safety and Compliance: Perform in-depth hazard analysis and work in conjunction with the EH&S team to guarantee the safe operation of all equipment at all times, prioritizing the well-being of the team and environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or technical field (e.g., mechanical engineering, materials science, etc.), or equivalent.
- 4+ years of hands-on experience working with graphite furnaces
- Experience designing equipment for high-temperature (> 400 C) environments
- Skilled in computer-aided design (CAD), preferably SolidWorks
- Exceptional attention to detail with strong verbal and written communication skills.
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Graduate degree in mechanical engineering, materials science or equivalent.
- Experience with testing liquid-cooled devices.
- Familiarity with Thermophotovoltaic (TPV) devices.
- Experience with designing/building/testing gas curtains
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with mechanical, thermal and electrical engineers.
Salary Range: $140,000 - $160,000 USD
Salary Basis: Annual
This job posting contains the salary range that Antora Energy believes it would be willing to pay for the posted job. The actual salary offered will be determined within the posted range based on a candidate's experience, credentials, and expertise as they pertain to the requirements of the position.
In addition to a competitive base salary, Antora Energy’s Total Rewards program includes a premium health benefits package with life and disability insurance, a 401K plan, a flexible spending account, industry leading paid time off policy, providing a flexible and inclusive holiday observance, as well as paid volunteer time off.