Mechanical Design Engineer
At Antora, we’re on a mission to stop climate change. And we can’t do that unless we tackle the 30% of global emissions that come from industry.
Antora is unlocking zero-emissions industrial energy, cheaper than fossil fuels. Antora’s thermal batteries store energy from renewables as heat for days on end, delivering that stored energy as heat and power at the scale and temperatures that large industrial operations demand. We’re on a path to eliminate gigatons of emissions while strengthening domestic manufacturing, curbing industrial air pollution, and enhancing America’s clean energy leadership.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. We are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to a future where every industrial facility, everywhere on earth, is powered by abundant, low-cost, zero-emissions energy.
We are seeking a self-driven and passionate individual to join our Product Development Team to deliver zero-carbon industrial heat and power with our novel solid state thermal battery. We are a tight-knit team that loves what we do. We strive to have an impact, working with humility and openness and building lifelong relationships along the way. You will collaborate with our engineering teams to scope, define, design, model, prototype, validate, and iterate the mechanical design of Antora’s thermal battery. You will be a key technical member of a cross-functional and rapidly growing organization. Your work will directly contribute to the demonstration of a first of a kind long-duration energy storage technology.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Drive hardware development for subsystems and components within Antora’s thermal battery system from basic architecture evaluations through conceptual design, analysis, detailed design, prototyping, testing, and manufacturing phases
- Perform design calculations and trade studies for structural, thermal, and fluid systems
- Work closely with other team members to develop system requirements
- Develop and maintain engineering and CAD best practices, standards, documentation, and infrastructure
- Take ownership of well-bounded design scope at a component or simple subsystem level. Is a self-starter and independently comes to a directionally-correct solution before receiving further input.
- Education and industry experience will determine level; minimum requirements are as follows:
- Engineer I: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Engineer II: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with 2+ years relevant industry experience OR Master’s degree
- Examples of relevant industry experience include power generation, aerospace, propulsion, or other industrial hardware products
- Experience designing, building, and/or testing hardware in a professional setting, classroom setting, extracurricular project team, or personal project related to mechanical engineering
- Experience creating 3D CAD in Solidworks or equivalent
- Experience creating engineering drawings
- Experience with relevant hand calculations for structural and thermal analysis
- Experience designing for common manufacturing processes like welding, machining, sheet metal fabrication, etc for low-mid volume production
- Collaborative working style with strong written and verbal communication skills; gives + accepts feedback with humility; puts the mission and team first when solving problems.
- Additional qualifications for Engineer II:
- Experience developing and delivering hardware products as the responsible mechanical design engineer from cradle to grave
- Experience with GD&T, ASME Y14.5
- Experience managing data in PDM (Product Data Management) software or equivalent (ie Solidworks PDM or Siemens Teamcenter)
- Experience with finite element analysis (FEA) software, e.g. ANSYS, for structural and/or thermal analysis
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Experience with process engineering equipment (valves, actuators, instrumentation, piping) and best practices (P&IDs, PFDs, PHAs, etc.)
Work Location: Onsite - San Jose, CA, 5 days/ week (exceptions may be approved by hiring manager on a case-by-case basis)
- Engineer I: $92,000 - $100,000
- Engineer II: $110,00 - $140,000
Salary Basis: Annual
This job posting contains the salary range that Antora Energy believes it would be willing to pay for the posted job. The actual salary offered will be determined within the posted range based on a candidate's experience, credentials, and expertise as they pertain to the requirements of the position.
In addition to a competitive base salary, Antora Energy’s Total Rewards program includes a premium health benefits package with life and disability insurance, a 401K plan, a flexible spending account, industry leading paid time off policy, providing a flexible and inclusive holiday observance, as well as paid volunteer time off.