R&D Test Operator
At Antora, we’re on a mission to stop climate change. And we can’t do that unless we tackle the 30% of global emissions that come from industry.
Antora is unlocking zero-emissions industrial energy, cheaper than fossil fuels. Antora’s thermal batteries store energy from renewables as heat for days on end, delivering that stored energy as heat and power at the scale and temperatures that large industrial operations demand. We’re on a path to eliminate gigatons of emissions while strengthening domestic manufacturing, curbing industrial air pollution, and enhancing America’s clean energy leadership.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. We are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to a future where every industrial facility, everywhere on earth, is powered by abundant, low-cost, zero-emissions energy.
- We are seeking a self-driven and passionate individual to join our systems engineering team to deliver zero-carbon industrial heat and power with our novel solid state thermal battery. We are a tight-knit team that loves what we do. We strive to have an impact, working with humility and openness and building lifelong relationships along the way. You will join the R&D Test Engineering Team, collaborating with engineers and other technicians to help build, deliver, and maintain Antora’s custom R&D test rigs and low-volume production units. This work will directly contribute to the development and commercialization of a first of a kind long-duration energy storage technology.
- The R&D Test Operator role is a part-time, site-based position. The primary responsibility of this role is to support round-the-clock operation of new R&D test equipment and system prototypes, as well as to provide basic maintenance and troubleshooting support on test hardware in a new, 60k sq ft. industrial facility.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Utilize SCADA system to operate high power (hundreds of kW to MW), high temperature (>2000C) R&D test equipment
- Take regular logs and document operational anomalies for communication to Antora test engineering and the product development group at large
- Maintain an emphasis on safety - read alarms, recognize dangerous situations, and safely shut down the system when needed.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of mechanical, controls and instrumentation systems to ensure experiments are operating at their full potential
- Work with a high degree of autonomy while remaining open to deliver and receive feedback
- Maintain cleanliness of workspace and equipment
- Operate as the primary point of contact for the site during off-hours
- High School degree or GED, AA or AS technology degree preferred.
- Experience operating industrial plants and/or equipment via SCADA, HMI or other control scheme
- Demonstrated experience working on teams in fast-moving environments and under pressure
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations (add, subtract, multiply, divide) in different units of measurement
- Willingness to work flexible hours to accommodate test priorities, including night, weekend and overtime shifts
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Must be available to working overnights (6pm-6am)
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Technical training degree in mechanical, electrical, automotive or related disciplines.
- Experience with high-temperature, high-power industrial systems (energy, thermal processing rockets, etc.) in a fast moving environment with exposure to a wide array of subsystems (fluids, thermal, electrical etc.) and instrumentation (TC/RTD, optical sensors, load gauges, flow meters, etc).
- Experience with common communication industrial communication protocols (Ethernet/IP, Modbus, Profinet, HART, CAN, etc.) and PLC programming
- Comfortable with hand tools (drills, saws, torque wrench, etc.) and characterization equipment (multimeter, gas sensors, microscopes, etc.)
- Lift operations experience (fork lift, rigger, crane operator, etc.)
- Experience troubleshooting test equipment and coming up with quick solutions
Work Location: Onsite - San Jose, CA
Salary Range: $35.00 USD - $45.00 USD
Salary Basis: Hourly
This job posting contains the salary range that Antora Energy believes it would be willing to pay for the posted job. The actual salary offered will be determined within the posted range based on a candidate's experience, credentials, and expertise as they pertain to the requirements of the position.
In addition to a competitive base salary, Antora Energy’s Total Rewards program includes a premium health benefits package with life and disability insurance, a 401K plan, a flexible spending account, industry leading paid time off policy, providing a flexible and inclusive holiday observance, as well as paid volunteer time off.