Boston Metal is commercializing cutting edge extractive metallurgy technology that will revolutionize primary metals production, while decreasing cost and lowering environmental impact. This fast-paced startup company is looking for a Materials Engineer to join the team.
Duties will include alloy processing, laboratory-scale experimental design and setup, chemical hood operation, sample preparation and analysis, data analysis and reporting, analytical equipment maintenance, laboratory supplies, documentation, and SOP management.
Hands-on experience in academic research or technical environment conducting laboratory-scale experiments, materials processing (casting, welding, coating, etc.), sample preparation and analysis, data analysis/reporting.
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Materials Science or Metallurgical Engineering or Chemical Engineering and 6 months to 2 yrs relevant laboratory experience.
Desired Experience & Skills
- Experience with materials processing: casting, welding, coating, cladding, etc.
- Familiarity with laboratory furnace operations.
- Metallographic and other sample preparation and analysis.
- Experience with optical and SEM microscopy.
- Data analysis and reporting.
- Laboratory equipment maintenance.
- Experience with vacuum chambers and equipment.
- Experience with chemical hood operations.
- Experience with CAD software.
- Good record keeping and organization skills.
- Experience with high-temperature processes >1000°C.
- The employee must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) as required by the specific work activity which may include: N95 mask or respirator; various types of gloves/hand protection; safety shoes; head protection; and protective clothing.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use their hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb stairs and sit without additional assistance
- The employee is frequently required to stoop or crouch without additional assistance.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee has potential for exposure to hazardous chemicals and/or hazardous waste, extremely high temperatures, occasional exposure to moving equipment the risks of which are minimized through compliance with the use of proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and established safety policies and procedures. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
You will be working in a small team environment where teamwork and good relationships with other team members is critical. Many of our staff members are required to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and you should be prepared to do so as well when necessary.
We offer a full benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation, sick time & holidays, and a 401k with company matching provision.
Boston Metal is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, genetic information, ancestry, disability, veteran or military status or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Please provide resume if interested.