R&D Mechanical Laboratory Technician
We are on a mission to transform how metals are made. Our platform combines patented innovations with best practices from the aluminum and steel industries to solve the carbon emissions challenge facing the steel value chain. Our technology will decarbonize a major source of global carbon emissions. We are looking for an R&D Mechanical Laboratory Technician to help us make this happen.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Lab operations such as maintaining order and cleanliness of lab and equipment, including inventoried materials and overseeing contracted facilities work
- Equipment Maintenance- Perform scheduled maintenance and cleaning on lab equipment (i.e., pumps, chillers, lab scale furnaces and filter systems) and ensure that maintenance and repair contracts are kept up to date
- Inventory- Inspect incoming materials, procured parts and equipment to verify conformity to specifications and update inventory, POs, Quotes, and Invoices using Excel
- Engineering projects- providing support for building experimental equipment
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Familiar with General EHS policies and procedures and waste handling
- Capable of using basic hand and power tools
- Use of Swagelok and related compression fittings to make tubing assemblies
- Basic wiring, soldering and electromechanical assembly
- Capable of reading: CAD drawings, electrical wiring, and plumbing diagrams
- Proficiency of Microsoft Office Tools (Excel, Word, Etc.)
- Familiar with High Temp processes and refractory materials is a plus
- The employee must be able to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) as required by the specific work activity which may include: N95 mask or respirator; various types of gloves/hand protection; safety shoes; head protection; and protective clothing.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to use their hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee will be required to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs and ladders without additional assistance.
- The employee will be required to stoop or crouch without additional assistance.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee has potential for exposure to hazardous chemicals and/or hazardous waste, extremely high temperatures, occasional exposure to moving equipment the risks of which are minimized through compliance with the use of proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and established safety policies and procedures. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
We offer a full benefits package including health, dental, vision, health savings account, life and disability insurance, paid vacations and holidays, and a 401k with company matching provision.
You will be working in a small team environment where teamwork and good relationships with other team members is critical.
Boston Metal is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, disability, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Please provide resume AND cover letter if interested.