Senior Mechanical Engineer
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Milpitas, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, June 1, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This CFS Senior Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for aspects of the design, build, and implementation of advanced R&D equipment and complex machinery.
This team member will:
- Work effectively within a multi-disciplinary and proven team of top scientists and engineers
- Own the design and implementation of key mechanical modules and sub-systems
- Understand system level requirements and work with the team to drive innovative design concepts to meet these requirements
- Present and participate in design reviews on all aspects of mechanical subsystem designs
- Generate and maintain interfaces with other engineering subsystems
- Report on and be accountable for project progress to the Head of Superconductor Engineering
- Get things done - drive towards project deliverables with speed
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- 7+ years of experience working as a senior mechanical design engineer facing similar design challenges -- for example: design, construction, and operation of industrial, large-scale R&D and manufacturing equipment
- The ability to conceive novel solutions to challenging problems
- An exceptional safety record and attention to detail
- Expertise with 3D modeling and simulation
- Familiarity with complex engineering systems in challenging environments
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with excellent verbal and written abilities
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with SolidWorks
- Experience with NX
- Experience with COMSOL, ANSYS or other FEA tools
- Familiarity in applying Semi-S8, ASME, ACI, ASTM, and other mechanical standards to design solutions
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, standing for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat and noise
- Willingness to travel occasionally or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.