Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Milpitas, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This CFS Equipment Technician will be responsible for aspects of the construction, implementation, and maintenance of advanced R&D, production, and facilities equipment.
This team member will:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary and proven team of top scientists and engineers
- Own assembly and maintenance of key systems and sub-systems
- Work closely with suppliers during system integration and testing of equipment
- Maintain engineering lab and be responsible for lab safety and protocol compliance
- Report on and be accountable for project progress to the Head of Superconductor R&D
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 5+ years of experience involving construction, operation and maintenance of industrial, large-scale R&D and manufacturing equipment
- 5+ years of experience with mechanical assembly and maintenance of UHV and/or HV systems, including:
- the functional understanding of basic vacuum technology concepts,
- the thorough knowledge of cleaning processes for components used in vacuum systems,
- the ability to helium leak check systems and components,
- the ability to refurbish scroll pumps, cryopumps, and/or turbomolecular pumps
- ability to troubleshoot mechanical systems
- 5+ years of experience with low- and high-voltage electrical and/or instrumentation assembly, including:
- the ability to assembly cable harnesses with crimp and/or solder pins,
- the ability to troubleshoot and/or repair electrical issues,
- the functional understanding of bench instrumentation and lab testing experience using common test equipment (Oscilloscope, DMM, etc.),
- basic understanding of national electrical codes (required)
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Knowledge of electrical and plumbing codes and maintenance requirements, (documentation, safety, required reporting, regulations, etc.)
- Knowledge of OSHA worksite and personal safety requirements
- Knowledge of State or local governmental safety requirements The ability to conceive novel solutions to challenging problems
- Familiarity with engineering systems in challenging environments
- Excellent attention to safety in line with OSHA requirements and LOTO procedures
- Experience working with suppliers to enable quick-turn fabrication and rework of C&F parts
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.