Vice President of Marketing & Communications
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Marketing & Communications
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
Commonwealth Fusion Systems seeks a sharp, strategic marketing and communications leader to join our mission of enabling limitless clean energy.
As the VP of Marketing and Communications reporting to the CMO, this is a highly visible role responsible for bringing our groundbreaking fusion technology to the world stage. In this role, you will craft compelling messaging and differentiated positioning to drive broad comprehension of fusion's potential as a safe, sustainable power source. You will oversee the marketing and communications functions, building a nimble team to execute integrated initiatives across channels.
This role will be responsible for accelerating the growth of our global brand, managing our corporate reputation, and elevating CFS as a category-creator in clean, sustainable energy.
This team member will:
- Company Narrative: Own the company narrative and be aggressive in capturing tailwinds from the global zeitgeist
- CEO Communications: Develop a proactive, strategic approach to earned media placement and CEO communications
- Issues & Crisis Management: Lead on building a rapid-response crisis communications team able to cover both issues management as well as crisis issues
- Employee Communications: As the thought partner to the People team, build a comprehensive employee communications program to ensure consistent message delivery and comprehension across a fast-growing organization
- Third-Party Influencers: Working with Product Marketing, Digital and Global Affairs, develop a third-party influencer campaign to identify, curate, manage and activate industry analysts, academics, and other key opinion leaders
- Investor Relations: Working with Corp Dev, provide regular progress updates and milestones to existing and new investors
- Metrics: Manage the right set of tools to capture quality of earned media coverage, message pull through and tonality and benchmark against the competition
- Marketing & Planning: Build marketing strategies that accelerate CFS's growth and promote our fusion technology globally, work cross-functionally to align marketing plans with business goals and major milestones
- Brand Strategy & Management: Architect brand building initiatives that bring our brand to life and reinforce our values and vision within the company and across wider society
- Product Marketing: Craft razor sharp positioning and messaging that conveys segmentspecific customer value proposition and compelling storytelling
- Research & Analysis: Conduct market research and competitive intelligence to understand target users, dynamic market and larger ecosystem in which we operate · ABM & Sales Enablement: Empower the Commercial team with precision messaging, content and collateral for strategic customer conversations
- Employee Value Prop: Be the thought partner to the People team to develop a compelling, consistent, accessible employee value proposition
- As we scale build, manage and mentor a nimble marketing team and develop systems and structures to support marketing excellence
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- BA/BS degree in Marketing/Communications, Journalism, Business or related field · Boston-based role
- 15+ years of marketing leadership and strategic communications experience in a tech or science-based organization
- You convey complex technical topics in clear, compelling ways to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Nothing scares you: you are cool and calm under pressure
- You have intellectual curiosity and can quickly grasp complex scientific subjects
- You enjoy delving into the technical details of fusion technology
- Strong leadership abilities and experience managing high-performance teams
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Agency experience
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.