Materials Test Operator - Second Shift
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Materials Department at CFS is looking for a materials test operator to support the materials testing and characterization laboratory. Materials at CFS supports the design and engineering of all components needed for fusion systems and high temperature superconducting magnets. Working closely with the team lead for materials testing and characterization, the team of materials test operators provides continuous support for both industry standard and customized material and component testing. This includes communication between multiple internal stakeholders, detailed data reporting, equipment maintenance and upkeep, production line support, and continuous improvement. Current and future laboratory equipment includes but is not limited to: mechanical and electrochemical metallographic specimen polishing and preparation, visible light and electron microscopy, high temperature heat treatments, static and dynamic mechanical testing in a wide range of environments (including cryogenic and high temperature), magnetic property evaluation, and other thermophysical tests. The materials test operators will be responsible for conducting these tasks. Operators will be regularly expected to work during second shift and flex into first shift coverage depending on testing needs.
This team member will:
- Prepare test specimens and performs laboratory experiments
- Continuous improvement in the materials test and characterization laboratory
- Inventory management on consumable/spare parts and report up for purchasing
- Execution of materials tech tickets in accordance with the standard operating procedures and job hazard analyses
- Operate industry standard and customized materials testing and characterization equipment, processes, and test methods
- Conduct materials testing independently under the input from a materials test engineer including data management and reporting
- Mechanical testing including tensile testing, shear testing, fatigue testing, fracture toughness testing and other custom testing in extreme environments of cryogenic temperatures and high temperatures.
- Materials characterization including metallographic sample preparation (cutting, grinding, polishing), microscopy and imaging, hardness testing, magnetic and electrical testing.
- Support in installing, maintaining and troubleshooting laboratory equipment for effective usage as needed
- Ability and desire to work on multiple, different assignments
- Flexibility to adapt to changes in lab operations, priorities, and schedules.
- Maintain proper documentation with attention to detail
- Comfortable with performing repeated tests while still maintaining test quality
- Perform other related job duties as assigned by management
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- High school diploma/equivalency certificate or higher
- Minimum 2 years experience with with basic materials prep and testing tools
- Minimum 2 years experience with a variety of technical support skills including but not limited to mechanical and electrical assembly, vacuum systems, cryogenic systems, soldering, and wiring
- Participate in and promote CFS’ safety procedures and policies
- Desire to work in a fast-paced R&D environment with daily changes
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team of engineers, scientists, technical staff and others
- Ability to rapidly execute short turnaround materials testing tasks
- Strong problem solving skills, ability to approach new problems with creativity
- Strong written and oral communications skills & techniques.
- Effective root cause analysis and problem-solving skills
- Proficient PC skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to comply, interpret and support procedures, work rules, and protocols
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with Instron-based mechanical test systems, Bluehill and Wavematrix software is a plus
- Testing to industry or international standards
- Experience operating tensile load frames, strain gauges
- Experience as a microscopist (optical or electron)
- Experience using electrical test devices
- Experience with metallographic sample preparation and analysis
- Experience with hazardous chemical use and management
- Experience with vacuum systems
- Experience operating shop equipment including horizontal band saws, drill presses, grinders/sanders, etc
- Ability to follow engineering procedures and instructions
- Understands materials testing and characterization equipment operations and processes.
- Experience working with cryogens such as Liquid Nitrogen and Liquid Helium
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, metallographic Etchants and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.