Senior Plant Designer - Contract
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS is looking for an individual with advanced plant design skills to join the team responsible for developing the 3D model design and drawing production that will enable construction of a cutting-edge fusion energy plant designated as SPARC. The plant structure is currently in construction on a fast-track basis and the Sr. Plant Designer will support the team to design the plant process systems based upon schematics prepared by CFS engineering. When the SPARC project is operational as planned in mid-2025, the Sr. Plant Designer will support the turnover of the 3D model and associated engineering database for use as an operational tool. Additionally, the 3D model of SPARC will be used as a seed file for the design of a commercial version of the plant designated as ARC. At a point in time when the design of SPARC is sufficiently mature, the Sr. Plant Designer will transition to support the 3D design activities associated with ARC, planned to be the first electric power producing fusion plant in the world.
This is a contract position.
This team member will:
- Support the activities of a plant design team in the development of 3D model content and creation of the drawings and documents that will enable construction of SPARC
- Create design content within the AVEVA E3D model platform
- Have responsibility for assigned elements of the plant layout;
- typical drawings such as General Arrangements, Cable tray Isometrics, Equipment Locations, P&IDs, Plan Drawings, and other drawings used for construction
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team of engineers to finalize the elements of plant design necessary to support construction activities, including Issued for Bid and Issued for Construction work packages
- Support development of 3D standards and best practices
- Support development of drawings in 2D CAD as required.
- Support configuration control of the 3D model design
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- Proficient in the AVEVA E3D modeling platform (cable tray and wiring preferred)
- 7+ years of experience designing complex highly engineered facilities
- Experience converting 3D model design content to documents used for construction
- Design skill in multiple disciplines
- Proficiency in the AVEVA E3D platform
- Knowledge of I&C typical design criteria
- Strong understanding of NEC codes in relation to IE&C
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience working under a QA program
- Familiarity in applying industry standards to design solutions
- The ability to clearly express and critique ideas
- A value for elegance and simplicity over complexity
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, startup R&D environment
- Perform activities such as typing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.