Senior Electrical Engineer
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
Our prototype fusion device includes a 700 MVA, 22 kV flywheel-driven generator for mechanical energy storage; 1,000 MVA of installed power conversion equipment serving 20+ individually controlled loads; a 40 MVA steady-state plant facility power system; and over 1 GJ of supercapacitor electrical energy storage. With a goal to deploy thousands of fusion power plants, we need electrical engineers with strong experience in industrial plants, power generation facilities, or large scientific experiments like particle accelerators or fusion devices.
Broad electrical engineering experience is desired, including:
-Electric drives and power conversion equipment, both line-commutated and switch-mode converters.
-Energy storage solutions via mechanical means (flywheel) or static electrical means (supercapacitors).
-Electric machines, rotating equipment and auxiliary systems including excitation, cooling, and sealing/lubrication.
-Medium voltage AC and DC distribution. Protective relaying and asset protection.
-Control of dynamical systems with demonstrated experience in electric power conversion.
-Specification, procurement, and installation of vendor-furnished equipment.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate substantial experience delivering and integrating industrial power generation and distribution equipment across many projects. They will be intimately familiar with the construction process. They will be highly organized and an excellent communicator. They will be responsible for prioritizing activities on a challenging and active construction project.
Responsibilities and title for this position can scale with experience.
This team member will:
- Design, build, and deliver electrical power systems for SPARC and R&D applications
- Manage critical procurement contracts and coordinate with vendors
- Interface with local Authorities Having Jurisdiction; facilitate electrical safety best practices
- Work with other SPARC cross-disciplinary teams such as physics, plasma control, diagnostics, cryogenics, RF, and gas handling
- Create construction work packages, coordinate installation of power equipment, and oversee commissioning activities
- Develop new in-house power conversion and magnet protection technologies
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- BS Electrical Engineering
- 6+ years experience in electrical power system development for power plants, industrial plants, or large scientific facilities
- Technical mastery in multiple areas of electrical engineering including a subset of the following: power conversion, electric machinery and drives, control of dynamical systems, medium voltage distribution, protective relaying, low voltage process-industrial facility design, instrumentation and control
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to conduct design reviews and organize/present material to both expert and non-technical audiences
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Pulsed power systems; electrical and mechanical transient analysis in complex power systems
- Balance of Plant; utility interconnection and coordination, low voltage distribution, management of AE and/or EPC consultants
- Design, qualification, manufacturing, and delivery of power conversion equipment to industrial market
- Electromagnetic modeling; transient thermal analysis, magnetic fields, forces, and structural support in complex geometries
- Circuit design, modeling, and construction; implementation of specialty equipment for use in harsh (electromagnetically noisy, cryogenic, high-temperature, high-vibration) environments
- Experience in large construction projects, including design documentation and construction administration.
- Familiarity with the design, analysis, and operation of electric machines and turbogenerators
- Familiarity with the design and operation of phase-controlled rectifiers, switch-mode power converters and drives.
- Analysis and modeling software
- *Standard electrical engineering software packages related to power distribution and converter design such as PLECS, MATLAB/Simulink, PSCAD/EMTDC, ETAP, etc.
- *Electromagnetic/Multiphysics finite element simulation packages such as ANSYS, COMSOL, SparseLizard, Mathcad, etc.
- *PCB design software (Altium or equivalent)
- *Basic use of standard programming languages, Python, C/C++, MATLAB
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.