Plasma Diagnostic Expert
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2022
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
ARC will be the first machine to produce electricity from fusion energy, serving as the cornerstone to a new industry. The fusion nuclear and plasma environment of ARC will be a challenging environment for plasma diagnostics needed for plasma control. The Plasma Diagnostic Expert will own the plasma measurement challenge in ARC, identifying and managing technical gaps and risks. They will work to identify the set of diagnostics that can be fielded in the extreme environment of ARC.
This team member will:
- Own the technical gaps and risks for plasma diagnostics on ARC
- Collaborate with the ARC physicists responsible for the plasma control to understand the measurement needs
- Work with CFS R&D and Open Innovation to close gaps and retire risks
- No supervisory responsibilities to start, eventually potentially the ARC diagnostics team
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- PhD in fusion or a related field
- 10 years fielding plasma diagnostics on fusion experiments
- Detailed knowledge of major diagnostic systems needed for plasma control
- Effects of fusion neutrons on diagnostics
- Effects of long-pulse operation on diagnostics
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Fielded diagnostics on fusion devices that operated with deuterium-tritium plasmas
- Fielded diagnostics on long-pulse fusion devices
- Lead a team of plasma diagnosticians
- Ability to perform activities such as typing and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required weekends/nights/on-call shifts
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?