Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2022
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The welding engineer is responsible for in-house welding process development for cutting edge high-field superconducting magnets and tokamak assemblies. The welding engineer also partners with design and R&D engineers to develop the weld geometry and techniques, weld specs, and inspection methods needed for welded SPARC assemblies.
This team member will:
- Develop welding and non-destructive test processes and certification plans in compliance with appropriate standards and codes
- Develop and qualify Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS) and Procedure Qualification Records (PQR)
- Collect, organize, and present process / quality data from development events
- Evaluate and create weld processes for both manual and automated welding
- Provide manufacturability feedback to design engineers for weld geometries and material selection
- Select and commission welding equipment needed to support production and create maintenance plans
- Work with in-house welders and external vendors to weld and inspect large metallic structures and tooling within specified timelines and budgets
- Troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement
- Influence make vs. buy decisions and work with external vendors to augment internal capabilities
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering field
- Weld engineering (preferred) or equivalent years of welding experience
- 5+ years' experience as a welding engineer on large structural systems and tooling
- Experience with large metallic structures and manufacturing processes related to machining, welding, drilling, and non-destructive test methods
- Experience taking products from R&D into production, including developing welding techniques to transition from manual to automated processes
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Project management experience working with internal customers and external vendors to deliver manufactured hardware within specified timelines and budgets
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Extended activities such as stooping, typing, standing, sitting, and welding
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Occasional travel will be required along with some nights/weekends/on-call working hours
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?