Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 5, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The SPARC tokamak facility contains industrial systems that provide the tokamak with electrical power, RF heating, cryogenic cooling, fusion fuels, and other utilities. Each of these complex plant systems must be integrated with the control system hardware/software, commissioned individually, and then integrated with the SPARC tokamak in a process similar to commissioning a new power plant or an industrial facility.
We are hiring a motivated and seasoned completion/commissioning professional to join the SPARC Integration Team. CFS seeks a high performing commissioning specialist to support the commissioning of SPARC systems and the supporting utilities. This individual will be embracing the team’s vision of supporting successful delivery of a complete system to operations team, while maximizing safety and reliability of the equipment operation.
This team member will:
- Support full implementation of an effective commissioning process with great focus on delivery of a fully integrated plant which is ready to start vacuum, cryogenic, and magnet operations leading to first plasma
- Support Commissioning Management team in developing commissioning master plan
- Act as a liaison between engineering teams, construction teams, vendors, and operations teams
- Develop and manage software-based system completion database
- Support commissioning lead and systems engineering teams in development of the sequence of commissioning and startup for various systems
- Develop procedures required for successful commissioning
- Support quality assurance team during construction process, capturing field notes/issues, correspondences during verification processes
- Facilitate a successful turnover of systems from construction/QA to commissioning
- Develop and own punch-list closeout efforts, coordinate walkdowns with appointed 3rd part contractors
- Develop handover packages and facilitate the handover process to system operation team
- Facilitate the management of change (MOC) in commissioning process
- Progress report on the status of system completion progress
- Schedule and facilitate re-occurring status review meetings with CFS teams, vendors and construction teams, plus schedule review meetings, per scope
- Work closely with procurement teams and vendors to coordinate status review meetings, punch-list closeout, acceptance testing and turnover documentation
- Work closely with the construction entities throughout the construction process, facilitate the construction completion acceptance and turnover documentation packages
- Lead successful and complete handover of the systems to system owners
- Embrace a safe work environment
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 5-7 years experience in process heavy industry commissioning and completion processes
- Working knowledge of MEP and integrated control systems commissioning and startup processes for heavy industrial facilities
- Experience with software based system completion management tools
- Extensive experience in developing commissioning and acceptance procedures
- Experience in executing specialized assignment, such as acceptance testing for commissioning processes is a plus
- Knowledge of EPC systems in engineering design, document management, construction management and completions
- Experience in fast-pace projects and dynamic environment
- Experienced in a functional-matrix organization
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to bring teams together to achieve project targets and goals
- Excellent verbal and written skills, and ability to communicate effectively and clearly
- Ability to decompose high-level information into practical details
- Ability to read P&IDs, PFDs, Single-lines, Controls schematic drawings
- Progress reporting and executive level presentation
- Industry recognized commissioning certification is a PLUS
- Experience with system completion tool Cx-Alloy is a PLUS
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, strong magnets, and energized electrical systems
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?