Technician - High Temperature Superconductors- First Shift
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
HTS Technicians are trained on the job to become specialized in High Temperature Superconductor material qualification, inspection, and processing. The ideal candidate will have a variety of lab experience and or manufacturing experience that will support CFS in building a world-class superconducting magnet system called SPARC. High Temperature Superconductors are the key materials that make SPARC possible, as an HTS technician you will drive the critical path activities that supplies HTS to the magnet assembly lines.
This team member will:
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team of manufacturing engineers and technicians to develop and qualify new manufacturing techniques and testing processes
- Test and process HTS to support Manufacturing and for R&D needs
- Ability to follow standard procedures to perform standardized work.
- Compose and resolve Raw Material Non-Conformance Reports NCRs
- Use various mechanical and precision calibrated tools such as micrometers, calipers, and multimeters
- Read and interpret Lab Viewer test data, ability to adjust testing parameters accordingly to collect best performance data on HTS
- Operate high-powered magnet equipment and custom software to characterize HTS critical current on HTS materials
- Perform maintenance on High Temperature Superconductor (HTS) characterization equipment, Super Current HTS 110
- Work with engineers to set up and maintain subsystems such as: cryogenics, power supplies, and control systems
- Communicate challenges and ideas effectively to peers and leadership focusing on problem solving and continuous improvements
- Operate production and testing equipment required to meet HTS manufacturing material demand
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- High school diploma/equivalency certificate or higher
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with lab equipment in a quality and/or manufacturing environment
- Commitment to safety and quality
- Ability to take directions from leadership and work independently
- Desire to work and contribute in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and cleanliness with hands-on work
- Ability and patience to work through projects from start to finish, including assembly and testing
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with winding equipment of any type is a plus
- Reel to Reel equipment or similar
- High Temperature Superconducting knowledge
- Working with cryogenic chemicals such as LN and Helium in a lab environment
- Hand tools and basic power tools
- Electrical schematic and wiring
- Lab Viewer software or similar data analyzing software
- Experience in a variety of technical support skills such as mechanical and electrical assembly, vacuum systems, cryogenic systems, soldering, and wiring.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?