Manufacturing Technical Project Manager
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Manufacturing Technical Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing one or more technical projects within the CFS Operations division. There are a wide range of projects within Manufacturing, spanning all of the subsystems that make up fusion devices and superconducting magnet systems, for both SPARC and commercial application magnets. This role will drive the technical project management aspects of developing the foundation for manufacturing principles for the company and ramping up magnet production.
This team member will:
- Project manage the builds of manufacturing hardware collaboratively with a diverse team of manufacturing/test/equipment engineers, technicians, R&D engineers, facilities, EHS, quality, and external contractors
- Develop and oversee project plans and budget including capital equipment, cost management strategies, and resource allocation
- Organize project milestones and schedule to meet strategic targets
- Communicate project status, risks, and resource requirements to the team & leadership
- Develop business processes and train the manufacturing engineering team on lean manufacturing principles, process flow maps, work instructions, and nonconformance management
- Develop ERP/MES (enterprise resource planning/manufacturing execution system) processes, standards, and functionality to support the company’s manufacturing needs in collaboration with the EIS (enterprise information systems) team
- Influence make vs. buy decisions and work with external vendors to augment internal capabilities
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering field is required
- 8+ years' experience managing technical projects
- Experience taking products from R&D into production
- Project management experience working with internal customers and external vendors to deliver manufactured hardware within specified timelines and budgets
- Experience using project/product management tools such as MS Project, JIRA, Confluence, etc.
- Experience with resource estimation and projection and capacity planning
- Experience with development and implementation of production tools such as PFMEA, DMAIC, 8D problem solving, and data analysis methods
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- 10+ years’ experience in leadership roles for new manufacturing production line launches
- Experience with magnets, large/heavy assembly processes, thermos-mechanical assemblies, machining, welding, and/or VPI (vacuum pressure impregnation) is preferred
- Experience with the application of Lean and/or Six Sigma methodologies
- Demonstrated understanding of Project Management processes, strategies, and methods
- Experience mentoring, coaching, and developing rising talent in engineering disciplines
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and experience establishing guidelines in these areas for others
- Strong sense of self-motivation and personal accountability regarding decision-making and supervising teams
- Experience working in a high-level collaborative environment and promoting a teamwork mentality
- Managerial experience applying analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail and highly organized
- Flexible thinking, including the ability to pivot and try new approaches when faced with challenges
- Proficiency using presentation software to explain complex information to non-technical management personnel and other stakeholders
- Ability to work on multiple projects in various stages simultaneously
- Ability to predict challenges and seek to proactively head-off obstacles
- Perform activities such as stooping, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?