Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Vacuum Systems Technician is an exciting role, with an initial responsibility for the installation and commissioning of the SPARC Vacuum Pumping Systems. With SPARC moving into plasma operations, the Vacuum System Technician shall ensure SPARC functional availability by executing planned maintenance as well repairs of vacuum equipment.
This team member will:
- Responsibilities include close cooperation with Operations, Plant Maintenance, Quality and other departments to ensure that goals and objectives are met. While maintaining a safe work environment, the team member will:
- Perform installation, commissioning and set-up of rough vacuum, high vacuum (HV) and ultra-high vacuum (UHV) equipment, instrumentation and ducting
- Helium leak checking of vacuum systems
- Assist Vacuum Systems Engineers with testing necessary to the development of customized vacuum equipment
- Develop maintenance procedures for vacuum pump and instrumentations
- Maintain accurate records of all vacuum equipment maintenance while suggesting corrective actions to improve vacuum equipment availability
- Develop and maintain spare part stock and consumables
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a variety of skills such as but not limited to mechanical and electrical assembly, plumbing, soldering and wiring acquired while performing maintenance and installation of high technology equipment (e.g., semiconductor manufacturing - proton therapy systems). Experience as pipe fitter for chemical/semiconductor/HVAC company is appreciated. Experience in tungsten inert gas (TIG) pipe welding is highly appreciated.
- Knowledge and operation of helium leak detector, vacuum pumps and vacuum pressure gauges, though training will be provided
- Ability to interpret Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams and Electrical Single Line Diagrams
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include vacuum forces, noise, fumes, strong magnets, high voltage, cryogenics and rigging of heavy equipment
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Proficient PC skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to comply, interpret and support, procedures, work rules, and protocols
- Commitment to safety and quality
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, fumes, noise, and strong magnets
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?