Senior Quality Engineer
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS is seeking a Senior Quality Engineer. This role is instrumental in maintaining and enhancing the highest levels of quality for our HTS Magnet production and SPARC Project. The successful candidate will have a crucial role in defining quality requirements for designs, overseeing manufacturing processes, and ensuring the developed products meet design requirements.
As a proactive problem solver, Senior Quality Engineer will collaborate with Design, R&D, Supplier Quality and Manufacturing teams to develop risk informed QA controls to positively impact CFS mission.
This team member will:
- Collaborate with a diverse team of engineers and quality professionals to develop, define, and implement quality requirements for designs and manufacturing processes
- Facilitate the creation and successful execution of PFMEAs, Control Plans and Quality Plans for manufacturing and installation of several sub-systems that integrate into the SPARC project
- Develop effective measurement systems and quality inspection methods to ensure all manufactured components meet quality requirements
- Provide oversight and leadership in the dispositioning of Non-Conformance Reports (NCRs)
- Support the supplier quality team in overseeing the quality performance of our suppliers, implementing appropriate action plans when needed
- Collect manufacturing data and conduct statistical analysis using control charts, process capability studies and Measurement System Analysis. Quickly escalate important insights to Operations
- Support creation of detailed manufacturing instructions to document quality critical characteristics
- Promptly escalate manufacturing nonconformances and conduct 8D Root Cause Analysis and implement Corrective Actions
- Play a leading role in developing quality requirements and inspection plans for assembly and commissioning activities, ensuring adherence to engineering requirements
- Regularly collect, analyze, and interpret manufacturing data, using statistical analysis methods to drive quality improvements.
- Provide oversight on high priority Quality Inspections for the project
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- BS in Mechanical, Industrial, Material Science or Manufacturing Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of Quality Engineering experience in manufacturing environment
- ISO 9001-2015, Six Sigma, Statistical Process Control (SPC), Process Capability Analysis, PFMEA, Measurement System Analysis (MSA), APQP
- GD&T and Metrology
- Knowledge of NDE (non-destructive evaluation) methods including dye penetrant, ultrasonic, computerized tomography, and x-ray
- Minitab or JMP, MS Excel (including VBA), MS Visio
- Excellent communication and organization skills
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with Welding Process and Nondestructive Testing
- Experience with assembly of large metallic components
- Experience with CMM or Romer Arm
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call or long hours
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.