R&D Testing - Mechanical Engineer
Somerville, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
R&D Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for owning and supporting mechanical/manufacturing engineering, electromechanical and CAD efforts to multiple projects/systems. Projects will focus on hardware and capability development ranging in nature from small scale prototypes to complex electromechanical systems for manufacturing/test applications.
This team member will:
- Design, prototype and build components, mechanisms, and electromechanical subsystems for testing rigs, system samples, and other hardware
- Provide design integration support to all projects using NX: CAD model creation, mechanical drawing creation, GD&T, dimensional analysis
- Develop sub-scale prototypes for different magnet systems
- Coordinate with vendors to ensure quality delivery from mechanical drawings
- Create, evaluate, and update electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic schematics and P&IDs
- Mentor and manage interns as well as mentor younger engineers on the team
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineering or a related discipline
- 7+ years of demonstrated success delivering complex electromechanical systems
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under many unknowns related to requirements and failure modes
- Track record of seeing through a complex electromechanical system from concept to finish
- Experience in GD&T
- Experience machining and rapid prototyping
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- M.S. preferred
- Welding experience a plus
- High level of proficiency in CAD (NX preferred)
- Proficient in FEA (Ansys preferred)
- Knowledge in multiple steel and copper manufacturing processes (preferred)
- Must be able to work a night shift
- Willingness to occasionally travel regularly or work required nights/weekends/on-call
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.