Accounting & Finance
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
As our Senior Accountant, you will report directly to the Accounting Manager to enable an accurate, timely, and efficient financial close process at CFS. We are a startup company that is moving rapidly to build a one-of-a-kind prototype fusion energy device, and this requires an outstanding accounting process to tell the financial story behind achieving fusion power to our investors and other stakeholders. We’re looking for someone who can serve a key role in the execution of our monthly close process and annual audit, while also assisting with special projects for GAAP compliance, ERP optimization, and building a robust internal control environment at CFS.
This team member will:
- Execute monthly financial close process, including preparation of journal entries, subledger reviews, and general ledger reconciliations strictly adhering to the close deadlines
- Prepare financial statement footnotes and supporting documents for audited financial statements
- Coordinate and assist with year-end audit requests
- Collaborate with FP&A team on accruals and budget considerations
- Assist with research for complex accounting matters and interpretation of technical accounting guidance
- Participate in the optimization of our ERP, Odoo, and enhancement of related internal controls and process documentation
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Perform monthly variance analysis for the changes in the Balance Sheet and the P&L
- Prepare ad hoc reports for management – including various department requests
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Economics preferred
- Minimum 2 years Accounting or Audit experience
- Strong knowledge of and exposure to US GAAP
- Experience with big ERP system (SAP, PeopleSoft etc.)
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience with Microsoft Office, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Ability to keep organized and demonstrate flexibility in a fast-paced, startup company environment
- Ability to work and manage time independently, as part of a collaborative team
- A strong communicator (particularly written communication), with a service-oriented mindset
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with Odoo ERP system
- Past work in an organization funded by government grants or contracts and/or heavy manufacturing environment
- CPA preferred
- Perform activities such as typing and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call or long hours
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.