Systems Engineer - Electrical
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS is currently looking for a Systems Engineer - Electrical, who will focus on implementation of Systems Engineering process and systems thinking to subsystems that form the core of the SPARC power supply:
- Medium Voltage Pulsed Electrical Systems (electromagnet power supply)
- RF Heating Systems (plasma heating)
This role is inherently cross-disciplinary, and will require collaboration with a wide variety of stakeholders to ensure that systems are designed, integrated, and operated successfully. The Systems Engineer will be responsible for a group of subsystems, working on activities throughout the development lifecycle, including requirements development, interface definition, trade studies, risk assessment and management, operational concept/control architecture development, test planning, etc.
The ideal candidate for this role is comfortable with learning a variety of new technical topics and being proactive to apply that knowledge to ensure that the major electrical system development and implementation is successful in SPARC’s mission.
Candidates interested in this role should have some related experience and interest in working with the following specific electrical subsystems we are currently looking for support on:
- Medium Voltage Pulsed Power Supplies
- Medium Voltage Distribution Equipment
- Motor Generators
- Fast Discharge Resistors
- Controls for Medium Voltage Equipment
This team member will:
- Coordinate, define, and control interfaces between pulsed electrical systems and with interfacing tokamak systems
- Review P&IDs & schematicsElicit, decompose, and establish traceability of system requirements
- Conduct trade studies to drive/coordinate technical decision making.
- Conduct risk assessments such as FMECAs & HAZOPS
- Support design review content development and the review of designs for technical maturity, consistency, and accuracy
- Develop verification and validation plans
- Develop requirement/risk informed testing and commissioning plans
- Develop operational concepts and control architectures
- Develop MBSE controls models in MathWorks System Composer to support I&C, Operations, and Software team needs
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 5+ years of experience in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related roles
- Thorough understanding of medium voltage electrical system concepts and equipment including: Distribution / transmission, Grounding concepts, Medium voltage control concepts, Reactors, Rectifiers, Crowbars, Transformers, Motor Generators
- Experience working on the design and construction of any of the below projects is preferred: Distributed power generation, Power plants, Industrial plants & power distribution, RF signal generators and antennas
- Experience working in the development of large, integrated and complex systems and construction of any of the projects below is also acceptable: Energy, Aerospace, Defense , Transportation, Industrial
- Thorough understanding of Systems Engineering life cycle processes and how they are realistically implemented on fast paced projects including experience performing: HAZOPS, FMECAs, Trade studies, Requirements elicitation, Verification & validation, Commissioning
- Experience with any of the following is beneficial: Plant power systems, Electro-mechanical systemsInsulation/electrical breaks, High heat flux components, Cryogenic piping and pressurized components, Radiation/vacuum environments and testing, Vacuum feedthroughs, RF antenna development, RF signal generation
- Strong interpersonal and technical communication skills, with the ability to proactively engage and communicate with a wide range of stakeholders
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Ability to perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
- Willing to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.