Mechanical Engineer - Magnets
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
As a Mechanical Engineer for the SPARC superconducting magnets, you will perform thermal, structural, and electromagnetic analysis using hand calculations and finite element methods. You will develop design notes, technical specifications, assembly procedures and documentation necessary to manufacture and install the SPARC superconducting magnets and their embedded and supporting systems. In your role you will also support procurement in the preparation and execution of manufacturing contracts.
This team member will:
- Produce design concepts using NX
- Identify enabling technologies in the modeling and construction of high-temperature superconducting magnets
- Perform thermal, fluid, structural, and electromagnetic analysis of SPARC magnets, including conductors, insulation, joints, supports, fluid manifolds, insulator breaks, and inform design decisions
- Perform proof of principle and hand calculations as necessary to confirm the validity of the analysis
- Work with experimental teams on instrumentation, measurement, and correlation of experiment to analysis
- Provide technical support to procurement during manufacturing
- Develop assembly and commissioning documentation
- Support the development of the tooling for assembly
- Support the resolution of technical issues that arise during the manufacturing, assembly and commissioning
- Prepare reports and presentations as requested
- Review other analysts' work when requested
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, physics, or another relevant field
- At least 5 years of engineering design and analysis experience
- Solid background in component design and performing FEA analyses
- Demonstrated record of design of mechanical components used in analytical instrumentation, robotics, process control or aerospace systems
- Experience with rapid prototyping and failure testing used to debug and improve designs
- Familiarity with all steps in the design process with an emphasis on creativity and simplicity
- Be self-motivated and exhibit excellent problem-solving skills
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with NX, ANSYS, and COMSOL
- Bias toward design for manufacture and experience working with vendors and fabricators to reduce cost and lead time
- Hands-on experience developing hardware
- Perform activities such as sitting for extended periods of time
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.