Senior Mechanical Engineer
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
We are looking for an outstanding and outcome-focused Senior Engineer to become a part of our SPARC team. This role will hold a crucial position in taking to completion the design and delivery of systems within SPARC, our first-of-a-kind compact fusion machine.
This team member will support the Engineering Lead in:
- Driving a system through its design phase to ensure its readiness for fabrication.
- Managing effectively unforeseen non-conformities or changes
- Collaborating closely with vendors and internal resources to uphold product integrity, cost-effectiveness, and schedule adherence.
- Preparing documentation required for system installation and initial operation.
- Monitoring proactively the system's cost and schedule, identifying potential triggers for overspending and delays, and implementing corrective strategies.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent education and experience.
- At least 5 years of engineering experience in a multidisciplinary team, encompassing mechanical and electrical disciplines.
- Proficiency in engineering product-life cycles involving review gates.
- Ability to learn new technologies readily.
- High self-motivation and adept at embracing challenges with minimal oversight.
- Unwavering commitment to safety.
- Excellent problem-solving and creative capabilities.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the capability to engage and influence stakeholders at all organizational levels.
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with magnets, ultra-high vacuum and/or cryogenic is preferred
- Experience working with project management tools is a plus
- Willingness to travel flexibly or cover on site activities outside normal hours (e.g. during installation phase)
- Perform activities such as sitting for extended periods of time
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.