RF & Electrical Technician
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The RF & Electrical technician position is an integral part of the RF Heating team and will aid in the fabrication, testing, installation, and commissioning of SPARC RF components. Specific assignments will be determined by the SRO in conjunction with the engineering staff.
This team member will:
- Build electromechanical parts and assemblies
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and technicians to develop and qualify high-power RF equipment
- Perform R&D and prototype builds, and perform RF testing on these devices
- Perform production builds according to procedures, specifications, and test instructions
- Develop manufacturing processes specific to RF components
- Troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement
- Use various mechanical and precision calibrated tools such as torque wrenches, micrometers, and calipers
- Read and interpret assembly drawings, wiring diagrams, detailed prints
- Communicate challenges and ideas effectively to peers and leadership
- Operate production and testing equipment
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- High school diploma/equivalency certificate or higher
- Experience with RF measurement equipment
- Experience with soldering of RF components on circuit boards
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with hand tools and machine shop equipment
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a variety of technical support skills such as mechanical and electrical assembly, plumbing, soldering, and wiring
- Basic computer skills: email, video conferencing, data entry, etc.
- Commitment to safety and quality
- Ability to take directions from leadership and work independently
- Desire to work and contribute in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and cleanliness with hands-on work
- Ability and patience to work through projects from start to finish, including assembly and testing
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with RF measurement equipment
- Soldering of RF components on circuit boards
- Electrical schematic and wiring
- Basic machining: milling center, lathe
- Basic welding: TIG & MIG
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.