Cryogenic Operations Engineer
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
As Cryodistribution Operations Engineer, you will help lead the SPARC cryodistribution system through manufacturing, component and subsystem testing, delivery, install, and commissioning. Throughout, you will be responsible to collect and secure learnings as related to cryodistribution system operation, including getting trained directly by our suppliers. Ultimately, following commissioning, you will serve on the cryodistribution team as a primary cryodistribution system operator.
This team member will:
- Tracking and reviewing final supplier design documentation
- Traveling to suppliers to verify fabrication progress, help relieve bottlenecks, and ensure rigorous testing meets specification requirements
- Driving remaining supplier design comments to closure
- Completing job safety hazard analyses for installation and commissioning
- Developing pre-commissioning and operation plans
- Creating commissioning and operating procedures
- Finalizing equipment lists
- Serving as cryodistribution operator
- Liaising between cryogenics team and the SPARC Operations and Commissioning teams
- Collecting and documenting operational learnings
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelors in Mechanical, Chemical, or Process Engineering
- Large-scale fluids process engineering
- Hands-on design, install, operation of systems with tanks, process piping, pumps, valves, heat exchangers
- Vendor management
- Fluid system operation
- Fundamentals of heat transfer, fluids, thermodynamics
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Large-scale cryogenics engineering
- Hands-on design, install, operation of systems with compressors, purification systems, circulators
- Cryogenics system operation
- Creating process flow diagrams (PFDs) and piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs)
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.