Senior Process Instrumentation and Control Engineer
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2021
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The SPARC Instrumentation and Control team seek an experienced Senior Engineer to take responsibility for the design, implementation, testing, installation and commissioning of the I&C for the fluid systems of SPARC. Systems include high temperature and cryogenic helium, nitrogen, hydrogen, noble gases, water, ultra-high vacuum and industrial HVAC. These I&C systems must be integrated with the central I&C systems responsible for machine operations, orchestration, plasma control, machine protection, safety, access control, data acquisition and archiving.
This team member will:
- Design of the I&C for multiple fluid systems of SPARC by production of the required design deliverables according to the SPARC design process
- Collaborate with the lead engineers for the fluid systems and central I&C systems and other key stakeholders to ensure all necessary functions and interfaces are included in the design and implemented according to requirements
- Coordinate and oversee implementation, testing, installation and commissioning of the I&C systems according to the project schedule
- Manage suppliers of components and integrated subsystems of the I&C systems
- Produce engineering deliverables such as instrument lists, signal lists, loop diagrams, data sheets and cabling schedules
- Produce testing, installation, commissioning, operations and maintenance procedures for the I&C systems
- Ensure the design is completed in compliance with the Code of Record and established requirements;
- Maintain interfaces with other engineering subsystems
- Report on and be accountable for progress to the head of I&C and the engineer responsible for the systems for which the I&C is being produced
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Experience in process, chemical, electronic or instrumentation and control engineering or similar
- Designed, built and operated industrial control systems with interlocks and protection functions from concept to completion under a QA program
- Selected instrumentation and implemented feedback control loops for gaseous and liquid systems
- Application of engineering fundamentals to provide specific I&C solutions depending on the process needs
- Instrumentation in challenging environments
- Familiarity in applying IEEE and IEC Standards to design solutions
- Understanding of the safety risks of fluid based systems
- Production of engineering deliverables for design reviews, construction work packages, commissioning, operations and maintenance
- Siemens SIMATIC S7 product range
- AVEVA or similar
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Cryogenic systems
- Industrial HVAC
- Vacuum systems
- Hazardous gas systems
- Cooling water systems
- Radiation effect on instrumentation components throughout the signal path
- Magnetic field effect on instrumentation components throughout the signal path
- Current best practices and emerging technologies in industrial control systems
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, sitting, etc. for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, and noise
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?