Director, Upstream Bioprocessing and Analytical Chemistry
Morrisville, NC, USA
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
DMC is a biotechnology company based in Boulder, CO, and Research Triangle Park, NC. Our Dynamic Metabolic Control™ technology platform delivers robust and predictably scalable biocatalysts resulting in cost competitive and sustainable processes for everyday chemicals. We are a multi-product bio-based chemical company, working ingeniously to reduce the cost and the environmental impact of biochemicals for markets in animal feed, human nutrition, pharmaceutical materials, and chemical intermediates.
We are seeking a talented and dynamic individual to take the role of Director, Upstream Bioprocessing and Analytical Chemistry at DMC. This position will report to, and work closely with our VP of Bioengineering and is expected to lead the Fermentation and Analytical Chemistry teams, as well as provide technical leadership on both ongoing and future projects and programs.
- Oversee the Fermentation team, including the development and implementation of new and/or improved upstream bioprocess protocols and SOPs, ensure the quality, reliability, and traceability of fermentation-related experiments.
- Oversee the Analytical Chemistry team, including the development and implementation of new and/or improved analytical chemistry methods, as required, based on a broad product portfolio.
- Manage and coach the Fermentation and Analytical Chemistry teams, including professional development, method development, SOPs, document management and workflows.
- Review and approve technical documentation, including methods, validation reports, and SOPs.
- Collaborate with the Bioengineering and Downstream Processing teams to support the fermentation and analytical chemistry needs of the R&D projects and programs.
- Develop fermentation and analytical chemistry tech transfer packages for manufacturing.
- Develop and manage continuous improvement processes in collaboration with the Fermentation and Analytical Chemistry teams.
- Identify third-party laboratories and establish working relationships to supplement DMC’s internal capabilities.
- PhD (or MS +3 year experience) in a relevant scientific or engineering field.
- 5+ years of relevant industrial experience, including 3+ years in a leadership position, including managing direct reports, teams, and projects.
- Hands on experience with several of the following methodologies: Strain, enzyme, and/or metabolic engineering. Microbial fermentation process development HPLC, UPLC, GC, and other analytical chemistry methodologies. Production of ingredients by Precision Fermentation
- Proven experience in writing, editing and maintaining methods, SOPs, and tech transfer documents.
- Direct experience in microbial fermentation and/or analytical method development based on review of scientific and patent literature.
- Experience in analytical method validation.
- Proven ability to effectively work in cross-disciplinary teams.
- Must be a self-starter, motivated, scientifically curious, and collaborative.
- Available to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Able to travel up to 15% of the time to work with teams at our other locations or to our partners’ sites.
- Experience with DoE (Design of Experiments).
- Experience with Six Sigma or other quality management systems.
- Experience with project management processes and techniques.
Some benefits we are proud to offer:
Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance at 90% coverage of premium for employee and 80% for dependent
Short- and Long-Term Disability
Basic Life Insurance and AD&D coverage
Flexible Time Off Policy
Wellness subsidy of $1,000 per year available after 6 months of employment
Many other voluntarybenefits available through TriNet
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We're actively taking steps to make sure our culture is inclusive and that our processes and practices promote equity for all, including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. We welcome and encourage applications from people with these identities or members of other historically marginalized groups.
Research shows that women and people of color tend not to apply to jobs unless they believe they are 100% qualified and apply to fewer senior-level positions. With that in mind, we encourage you to apply if you're not sure whether you meet our qualifications. We'd love to have the opportunity to consider you.