Senior Strategy Analyst (Iron & Metallics)
Who we are:
Electra is electrifying ironmaking to decarbonize steelmaking and eliminate 3.7 gigatons or 10% of global CO2 emissions. Leveraging proven industrial-scale electrochemical and hydrometallurgical processes, and backed by leading sustainability-focused venture capitalists, our team is developing lower cost, scalable solutions utilizing intermittent renewable energy to forge a cleaner, greener future for the trillion-dollar steel industry.
With a uniquely collaborative culture, endless passion for developing disruptive technologies, and the opportunity to revolutionize carbon-intensive manufacturing industries, careers at Electra offer challenge, reward, and the chance to bring to market solutions that dramatically improve the health of the planet.
About the Strategy team:
Electra’s Strategy team is chartered to develop the Company’s business strategy, manage the strategic planning process, monitor the market and competitive landscape, and develop new growth opportunities in collaboration with the Development and Executive Leadership teams.
As Electra is preparing the piloting and commercial launch of its first product, determining the strategic direction for sustainable, profitable growth is critical to meeting the objectives of the company and its main stakeholders.
What you will do:
In this role you will be a key contributor on the Strategy team, with a focus on the end-to-end steelmaking value chain; investigating and analyzing from upstream iron sources and other key supply markets to downstream steel customers and steel end-use markets - as well as competitors, external industry forces, logistics, renewable energy sources of power. Your initial focus will be on North America and expanding to global options. In this role you will:
Support industry research and analysis by:
- Conducting demand, supply and competitor analysis in the global steel industry from iron ore mining to end-use applications for steel products such as automotive, infrastructure, transportation, appliances, etc.
- Extracting data and trends from industry, analyst and financial reports
- Conducting interviews with subject matter experts
- Developing a point of view on the attractiveness of Electra’s target markets and summarizing insights
- Analyzing logistics, energy options, and associated costs
Develop strategic options definition and validation by:
- Identifying ‘where-to-play' and ‘how-to-win' options for Electra
- Supporting analytical validation and viability of those options including developing techno-economic and financial models
Support the strategic planning process by:
- Defining, building, and improving the organizational and analytical processes to develop and review Electra’s strategy
- Collaborating with Electra’s team of internal and external experts – gathering insights and aligning on assumptions
- Maintaining and expanding Electra’s positive relationships with experts, maintaining access to data and ‘know-how’ - interacting with this diverse group across multiple time zones.
What we need you to bring to the team:
- A Bachelor’s degree Business, Finance, Economics, Engineering, or related field
- 5 years of relevant experience in a professional services firm (strategy consulting, venture capital, investment banking) with proven analytical rigor
- Understanding of the iron and steel full value chain strategically, physically and commercially
- Awareness of economic and industry issues as well as other business trends that could impact the firm
- Strong commercial skills and an understanding of the key business and financial drivers
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills (including presentations) as well as listening and interpretation skills
- Experience developing and presenting material to a senior level audience
- Advanced aptitude in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Comfortability working in an ambiguous environment
What we want you to bring to the team:
- Advanced degree in a related field
- Self-motivation, high energy, and results oriented
- Experience or the desire to be in a dynamic startup environment
- A critical thinking mindset and focus on finding answers
- A desire to challenge yourself and take on increasing responsibilities as the company grows
What’s in it for you:
- Career growth
- Opportunity to develop new processes and build
- Opportunity to support a wide variety of projects
- Recognition and appreciation
- The ability to share your perspectives and opinions in a hyper-collaborative environment
- The anticipated starting pay range for this position is $100,000 - $130,000 annually and may be more or less depending upon skills, experience, and education.
Benefits For You:
- 100% paid premiums across all medical, dental, vision, telemedicine, short-term disability, long-term disability, and basic life insurance plans
- Unlimited PTO
- $1,800 in annual employer HSA contributions (health savings account)
Benefits For Your Family:
- 100% paid premiums across all medical, dental, vision, and telemedicine plans
- $3,600 in annual employer HSA contributions (health savings account)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave and flexible return-to-work options
Benefits For Your Future:
- 401k with up to 5% matching contributions which vest 100% on day one
- Eligibility for incentive stock options