Senior Scientist- Hydrometallurgist
Who we are:
Electra is electrifying ironmaking to decarbonize steelmaking and eliminate 3.7 gigatons or 10% of global CO2 emissions. Leveraging proven industrial-scale electrochemical and hydrometallurgical processes, and backed by leading sustainability-focused venture capitalists, our team is developing lower cost, scalable solutions utilizing intermittent renewable energy to forge a cleaner, greener future for the trillion-dollar steel industry.
With a uniquely collaborative culture, endless passion for developing disruptive technologies, and the opportunity to revolutionize carbon-intensive manufacturing industries, careers at Electra offer challenge, reward, and the chance to bring to market solutions that dramatically improve the health of the planet.
What you will do:
As a Senior Scientist on the Hydrometallurgy team, you will focus on developing new flowsheets and refining process steps for converting iron-containing feedstocks into solutions suitable for electroplating. The majority of your time will be spent designing and performing experiments, reviewing data, and sharing results with the larger team. In this role you will:
- Design, setup, and perform experimental work to test, optimize, and define process steps
- Analyze and review data to reach conclusions and provide answers to key questions
- Guide procurement of equipment and instrumentation to expand our laboratory capabilities
- Identify new approaches and unit operations for hydrometallurgical processes
- Summarize and present experimental results clearly and concisely to other team members
- Act as a subject matter expert for hydrometallurgical unit operations and solvent extraction systems in particular.
What we need you to bring to the team:
- A PhD in chemical engineering, mining or metallurgical engineering, or related field and 1 year of relevant experience; or a Bachelor’s degree and 6 years of experience
- Demonstrated ability to analyze experimental data, reach conclusions, and communicate results
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan and execute research projects
- Strong understanding of hydrometallurgy fundamentals and practical application
- The ability to adapt quickly to changing processes and responsibilities
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with, or ability to quickly learn, Microsoft Office suite of programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneDrive, and SharePoint.
What we want you to bring to the team:
- Direct experience with hydrometallurgical operations at both lab and commercial scale, with specific experience in solvent extraction.
- Experience or the desire to be in a dynamic startup environment
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in team and individual settings
- A critical thinking mindset and focus on finding answers
- A safety-first mindset; share potential risks with others before they result in hazardous outcomes
What’s in it for you:
- Career growth
- Opportunity to develop new decarbonization processes
- Opportunity to support a wide variety of projects
- Recognition and appreciation
- The ability to share your perspectives and opinions in a hyper-collaborative environment
- The anticipated starting pay range for this position is $110,000 - $130,000 annually and may be more or less depending upon skills, experience, and education.
Benefits For You:
- 100% paid premiums across all medical, dental, vision, telemedicine, short-term disability, long-term disability, and basic life insurance plans
- Unlimited PTO
- $1,800 in annual employer HSA contributions (health savings account)
Benefits For Your Family:
- 100% paid premiums across all medical, dental, vision, and telemedicine plans
- $3,600 in annual employer HSA contributions (health savings account)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave and flexible return-to-work options
Benefits For Your Future:
- 401k with up to 5% matching contributions which vest 100% on day one
- Eligibility for incentive stock options