Senior Research Engineer - Protective Coatings
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
We are searching for a (Senior) Research Engineer – Protective Coatings to join our Cell Technology Team. This team is responsible for developing cell technologies and materials solutions for critical cell components to be deployed in Electric Hydrogen’s electrolyzer product. As a (Senior) Research Engineer – Protective Coatings, you will be responsible for the creation/obtainment, development, and optimization of protective coatings in the electrolyzer cells. You will be working closely with our manufacturing team and external coating vendors to define materials specification and communicate the test and characterization results of the coatings. Reporting to Manager-Cell Technology, you will also work closely with cell design engineers, cell test engineers, stack engineers, and supply chain team members. The ideal candidate should be communicative, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and most importantly should thrive to use data to inform decisions.
You will be based in Natick, MA. You will report to Manager – Cell Technology.
- Develop ex-situ test and characterization techniques for protective coatings of cell materials, using chemical or physical characterization techniques
- Develop and utilize in-situ test to evaluate performance and durability of coating materials under simulated electrolyzer cell testing conditions
- Developing accelerated stress tests to evaluate coating degradation
- Optimize performance and durability of the protective coatings in the electrolyzers
- Innovate new surface treatment and coating processes to further improve the overall product performance and reliability of the electrolyzer cells
- Own design specification of protective coatings in the electrolyzer cells
- Document and communicate designs and performance results to multi-disciplinary team members and project stakeholders
- Collaborate with internal development engineers and external vendors, understand the challenge in scaling-up coating processes, pay attention to variations in coating characteristics of samples, inform the implications of coating characteristics on electrolyzer cell performance
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Manufacturing Engineering, or related field.
- 0-3 years of post-degree industrial or national lab hands-on experience
- Knowledge of thin film materials and coating techniques.
- Experience with materials characterization
- Strong interdisciplinary communicator, across a range of engineering and operation functions.
- Knowledge of environment, health, and safety (EHS) requirements for manufacturing.
- Comfortable to give oral presentations and writing technical reports
- Ability to pay attention to details.
- Research experience for electrochemical devices is highly desired, including but not limited to experience in electrolyzers, fuel cells, batteries, solar cells, etc.
- Experience of advanced materials characterization techniques including but not limited to SEM/EDS, XRD, XRF, XPS, TEM, FIB, micro-CT, TOF-SIMS, etc.
- Experience or knowledge of thin film deposition techniques such as magnetron sputtering, ALD, PLD, PECVD, etc.
- Experience or knowledge of electrodeposition processes such as electroplating and electrophoretic deposition as well as electroless deposition.
- Experience or knowledge of surface treatment processes on metal surfaces such as anodizing, oxidizing, nitriding, carbidizing.
- Track record (research papers or patents) in field of electrochemical devices or thin film materials
Compensation & Benefits:
[Natick Zone] Senior Research Engineer (P4):
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!