Payroll & Benefits Specialist
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
Electric Hydrogen is searching for a Payroll & Benefits Associate to ensure our most important asset, our people, are compensated as expected and in accordance with the law. You will be the primary resource responsible for daily payroll and benefits activities, as outlined below under roles and responsibilities.
You will work onsite at our office in Devens, MA and report into the Finance Operations Manager.
Role and Responsibilities
1. Payroll Processing
- Process payroll following set pay schedules, employee offer letters, other compensation agreements, and employment dates
- Set up garnishments and mandatory insurance coverage
- Ensure compliance with all Federal, state, and local taxing and labor authorities
- Maintain accurate and complete documentation of all payroll activities
- Help with payroll accounting activities, including reconciling and researching discrepancies
2. Benefits Management
- Work with our benefits broker and providers to ensure successful employee enrollment and offboarding and audit invoices to ensure accurate billing.
- Maintain compliance with employee withholdings and corporate contributions to 401k accounts and the FSA/HSA Programs; reconcile plans monthly to ensure accuracy.
3. Inbox Management
- Educate and answer questions from employees on their compensation and benefits and diligently resolve any issues related to such. Escalate questions promptly when unable to answer them
- Respond quickly to 3rd party requests for employment verification
- Respond to requests for information related to state programs such as unemployment insurance and paid leave
4. Government Compliance
- Help with state and local payroll-related account registration
- Work with our payroll provider to ensure all notices are addressed
- Help with year-end payroll activities, such as W2 distribution
5. Additional Responsibilities
- Support the People and Finance teams, including onboarding and off-boarding employees, coordinating visa applications, maintaining our HRIS, and supporting accounts payable
- Help create clear and appropriate controls for employee pay and benefits, including creating documentation of actions taken, off cycle checks, and variable comp
- 5 years of payroll experience in a multi-state setting including new state registration, reporting, and closing accounts.
- Experience with California and Massachusetts payroll laws
- Experience with benefits administration, including eligibility requirements, open enrollment processes, and navigating the intricacies of qualifying life events.
- Experience working with different payroll and HR Information Systems (HRIS)
- Comprehensive knowledge of important federal and state regulations, filing, and compliance requirements affecting employee pay and benefits, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, SECTION 125, Worker's Compensation, Medicare, Social Security, and DOL requirements
- Experience with Rippling and Betterment
- Have relevant certifications such as Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS)
- Experience with Audits, such as Annual Financial Audits and Worker's Compensation Audits
- Experience with leave management and coordination with state and private insurance
Compensation and Benefits | [Natick Zone] Payroll Specialist [P2]
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!