Research Software Engineer (Sr/Staff)
About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
What we are looking for
Equilibrium was founded with a vision for building a company where data-centric decision-making drives our operations. Our reliance on closed-loop, ML-infused, autonomous workflow decision-making make simulating and interpreting market performance core to our success as a company. We are looking for a research software engineer who will be responsible for building software tools that allow sophisticated simulation of the physical and economic characteristics of utility-scale battery operations.
What you will do
- Design, develop, and maintain features for a utility-scale battery simulation platform
- Create a platform for visualizing and inspecting battery simulation results that enables actionable insights from performance and risk metrics
- Serve as a subject matter expert on simulation run mechanics and energy market logic
- Build tools for the ingestion and processing of time series data from various internal and external sources
- Assist in product development strategy, design, planning and productivity.
- Contribute your unique technical, user, and market knowledge to product strategy
- Contribute to product roadmapping, resource planning and sprint management
- Contribute to product development productivity improvements, including best practices, technical documentation, code reviews and automation / utility / abstraction packages.
- Serve as a member of our technical team across both engineering and research.
- Collaborate asynchronously with engineers, researchers and product managers across time zones to design, build and ship code.
- Contribute to technical strategy and planning across the company.
The minimum qualifications you’ll need
- 4+ years of production software engineering experience (Python, C++, Julia, or other applicable languages)
- Experience working across the software / research boundary, preferably in one of the following domains: machine learning, optimization, quantitative trading, power systems research
- Familiarity with software development best practices, including version control, code reviews, CI/CD, and testing
- Experience analyzing computational results with tooling such as Jupyter notebooks and matplotlib or equivalent
- Ability to proactively communicate and work cross-functionally to define and implement solutions in a complex technical environment
- BA / BS / Master's degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering) or equivalent practical experience
Nice to have additional skills
- Domain experience in simulation of real-world assets (physical batteries, autonomous vehicles, etc.)
- Working knowledge of modern cloud infrastructure and containerization tools (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, AWS / GCP / Azure)
- Experience with SQL-based databases (e.g. PostgreSQL) as well as tools and frameworks for working with databases programmatically (e.g. ORMs, JDBC, etc.)
- Experience with speed/memory tradeoffs operating over large-scale datasets
- Experience with optimization techniques, modeling packages, and solvers
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.