Platform Engineer (Staff / Sr Staff)
About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
What we are looking for
Equilibrium was founded with a vision for building a company where innovation, collaboration, machine learning, and data science power all aspects of our algorithmic decision-making. We are looking for a Platform Engineer (Staff / Sr Staff) who can multitask, demonstrate flexibility, and deal with many different situations at a time like writing specifications and documentation for the server-side features, analyzing the technology currently being used and developing plans and processes for improvement and expansion. Must be able to quickly identify problems or bottlenecks in everyday processes and procedures.
As a key member of our Platform group, you will be responsible for designing, building and maintaining the core infrastructure used by Equilibrium’s development teams & empower critical developer workflows.
What you will do
- Help define, design, develop and deploy EQ's Internal Developer Platform
- Apply and advance best practices for DevOps, including Infrastructure As Code, Gitops, CI/CD Pipelines
- Participate in project planning meetings to share knowledge of system options, risk, impact, and costs vs. benefits. In addition, communicate operational requirements and development forecasts.
- Perform routine maintenance to ensure the production environment runs smoothly. Develop maintenance requirements and procedures.
- Implement advanced monitoring and alerting
- Share on-call responsibilities with the rest of the Platform group, and the Engineering department as a whole
- Participate in and lead blameless post mortems to build a culture of continuous improvement
The minimum qualifications you’ll need
- Passion for clean energy and fighting climate change.
- BS/Master's degree in an technical discipline, or equivalent practical experience.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience
- Deep working experience with infrastructure-as-code (preferred language: Terraform).
- Deep working experience with Kubernetes or other containerized workload platforms
- Practical working experience in software development (preferred language: Python). A commitment to writing readable, reliable and well tested code.
- Practical working experience with AWS cloud technologies (IAM, EKS, RDS, EC2).
- Practical working experience with continuous integration & deployment (preferred technologies: Gitlab, Docker, ArgoCD).
- A passion for automation, DevOps and collaboration– blending operational excellence, development best practices and mentorship.
- Ability to adapt to cross-functional teams and new ways of working.
- Knowledge and experience working in an agile team and/or a willingness to learn.
- Strong communication skills.
Nice to have additional skills
- Expert-level experience with any of Terraform / AWS / Kubernetes.
- Experience managing Postgres and/or Snowflake at scale.
- Experience with https://temporal.io/ or similar workflow orchestration.
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.