Product Manager, Science (Principal)
About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
What we are looking for
Equilibrium is a highly collaborative and interdependent company. We are looking for a Principal Product Manager to accelerate our Science innovation flywheel. You will be working with an extremely talented and ambitious team of ML, forecasting, data and energy scientists and researchers. As a key member of the product management team, you will play an active role in cultivating our product strategy, discovering and building software and algorithms that have impact, which in turn foster a virtuous cycle of learning, innovation, and growth.
What you will do
- Guide product management for our Science Platform
- Lay out a product vision and strategy that enables our research scientists to:
- Rapidly experiment and innovate
- Transition their validated hypotheses to production-quality, market-facing algorithms
- Run their algorithms autonomously 24x7
- Receive continuous feedback and insights to that fosters continuous learning and improvement
- Conduct best-in-class product discovery to steer effective product development
- Coordinate product development and delivery towards highest-value use cases
- Evangelize your product roadmap, and own incorporating stakeholder feedback
- Champion the established software capabilities via clear, digestible documentation and demos
- Continuously seek out and incorporate feedback to iteratively improve Science Platform features over time
- Guide product management for our scientific research and algorithmic development
- Leverage product discovery best practices to gather, refine, and prioritize business and product driven requirements for scientific research and algorithmic development
- Provide design thinking to support scientist identification of possible initiatives and experiments that address known business needs in innovative and enhanced ways
- Use clear and professional stakeholder management practices to cross coordinate scientific research’s ability to drive new business opportunities and, vice versa
- Facilitate the co-prioritization of research and implementation work that collectively considers the needs of the business and the aspirations of the scientists
- Help the research team form their internal roadmap and vision for progressing the state of the art techniques
- Evangelize the research roadmap, and own incorporating stakeholder feedback.
- Champion our established science capabilities via create clear, digestible documentation and demos
- Serve in a leadership role within our Product Organization
- Collaborate closely with Science Management, Engineering Management, and EQ Leadership
- Foster growth in your team, by coaching and aligning towards a best-in-class product management toolkit
- Grow and evolve your team by actively recruiting new hires
- Learn from your team by seeking out feedback, and solution ways that make you a better leader for your team and across the company as a whole.
The minimum qualifications you’ll need
- Passion for clean energy and fighting climate change
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8+ years in product management in a technical field.
- Proven success working with all levels of management
- Experience building and complex products from scratch
- Effective at working in a fast-paced team environment and navigating ambiguity
- Self-motivated and proactive with the ability to work both independently and as part of a group
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Creativity and independent thought when solving problems
Nice to have additional skills
- Experience working with machine learning, scientific research or price forecasting teams
- Experience working in energy markets, battery optimization or power systems
- Experience working in financial trading (e.g. equities trading), and quantitative analysis
- Experience building AI/ML experimentation platforms and systems
- Experience working with fully remote teams
- Advanced degree in a science and/or business domain
- Experience in developing platforms for internal users
- Experience with tools; Jira, Coda, Slack, Google Workspace
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.