Energy Trading Analyst
About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
What we are looking for
The Trading Analyst will be a part of the Equilibrium Energy Commercial team, working closely with Front
Office to follow ISO market dynamics and regulatory processes and reporting requirements, analyze and
improve proprietary trading strategies, and coordinate with internal and external parties to maintain our
market participant and trading activity.
What you will do
- Research and analyze fundamentals of electricity market supply, demand and grid congestion for daily
trading in multiple ISO markets
- Follow closely ISO, State and Federal regulatory requirements and meetings/filings and summarize material
information for effective dissemination across EQ Commercial, Product and Science teams
- Build processes and procedures for meeting compliance obligations across active ISO markets
- Be responsible for periodic ISO compliance activities and managing certificate and access in coordination
with Equilibrium’s Middle Office and Operations functions
- Utilize the tools and processes needed to effectively manage and trade Equilibrium’s portfolio in the short-
- Research power market dynamics such as powerflow to more accurately predict congestion and system
lambda for us in trading strategies and asset optimization software
- Data mining and analysis to identify commercial opportunities
- Work as a member of the trading team to execute and evaluate trades for the short-term portfolio
The minimum qualifications you’ll need
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Economics or a related quantitative discipline.
- Knowledge of US Electricity markets and power systems
- Team-oriented and collaborative
- Must be effective working in a fast-paced team environment, and able to see projects through to completion
- Self-motivated and proactive with the ability to work independently and as part of a group
- Excellent communications, interpersonal, and organizational skills required
- Demonstrates creativity, and independent thought when solving problems
- Good understanding of business processes and data management
Nice to have additional skills
- 2-5 years of experience in electricity markets in an analytical or trading role, ideally with nodal market
experience and regulatory experience/understanding
- Experience in multiple ISO markets
- Proficiency with Excel, SQL and/or programming languages such as Python
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.