Chemical Engineer II, Electrolyte
Berkeley, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 6, 2023
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We’re looking for a Chemical Engineer to join the Electrolyte Engineering team within our Performance & Integration group. In this role, you will build on existing results to improve our electrolyte product integration process and help optimize the electrolyte workflow for Form Energy’s long-duration energy storage system.
Why is electrolyte so important? It touches all components of our cell. The Electrolyte Engineering team offers you a unique opportunity to interface with various internal teams, including Electrolyte Development, Component Integration, System Design, Battery Products, and Supply Chain, as well as with external vendors and manufacturers.
You’ll dive into hands-on lab work, working with the existing teams to design and run experiments with custom test fixtures to assess, understand, and improve electrolyte product integration process. This role offers the chance to also work closely with chemical, materials, and mechanical engineers on the technology development team in the lab and to analyze their data. If you are a creative, safety-conscious scientist with great attention to detail and a desire to learn and make an impact on the climate, let’s talk!
What You'll Do:
- Design and execute experiments to understand and refine existing electrolyte product integration and maintenance.
- Characterize cells and individual components using solution-based or materials characterization techniques.
- Use JMP and python scripts to quantitatively analyze and visualize data.
- Work with materials engineers, chemical engineers, mechanical engineers, electrochemists, and a team of technicians to integrate learnings across the technical development team.
What You'll Bring:
- Bachelors or Masters in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.
- 1 - 2 years experience with a lab-based chemistry research project or product development effort post bachelors (i.e., full time industrial position, masters research)
- Direct experience specifying experiment design, testing hypotheses, and interpreting results.
- Willingness to learn or ability to perform and interpret data from analytical techniques (e.g., cyclic voltammetry, UV-Vis, and titrations).
- Ability to use hand tools and participate in “maker” activities.
- Ability to teach and mentor co-workers on new methods and practices.
- Experience with aqueous electro-chemistry and related characterization techniques (e.g., cyclic voltammetry, UV-Vis, and titrations) is a plus.
The salary range for this role is $ 108,025 - $133,255 . The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor.
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?