Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
Form Energy is seeking a Materials Engineer to join our Iron Development team, a group responsible for improving the iron feedstock materials that will become anodes in Form Energy’s iron-air battery products. This role is within the Advanced Manufacturing organization at Form Energy.
The Iron Development team conducts investigations of iron materials and the processes used to create them, examining these for compatibility with Form’s battery technology. This includes thermal, chemical, and mechanical processing of iron feedstock products. If you enjoy collaborating with a talented team to take on materials science challenges, this is the role for you!
This opportunity is based out of Form Energy's Eighty Four, PA facility.
What You'll Do:
- Design, execute, and document experiments and material characterizations related to iron anode material. Experimental work will include operation of powder handling equipment, furnaces, and other process equipment. Characterization methods will include microscopy and mechanical testing.
- Work with external vendors to purchase equipment and access capabilities not available internally
- Propose and establish new capabilities for the Iron Development laboratory space
- Collaborate with materials scientists, battery engineers, manufacturing engineers, and key process stakeholders to drive improvements in product performance
What You'll Bring:
- Passion for our mission, sustainability, and climate change
- 1-4 plus years of experience in industry, working in a laboratory setting including running experimental equipment
- Experience characterizing materials using techniques such as microscopy, X-ray diffraction, and spectroscopy techniques
- Ability to analyze datasets using programming languages such as Python or MatLab
- Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science or related field
- Previous work with powder metallurgy or batteries is a plus, but not required
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?