Brisbane, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 2, 2023
We are looking for a Controls Project Engineer to architect and deploy our future Carbon Capture systems and bring Heirloom’s carbon technology to life! This role is both incredibly exciting and carries significant responsibility - you will be integral to our mission of removing thousands of tons of CO2 while drawing on your experience executing complex, multi-disciplinary, capital projects from start to finish.
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As temperatures continue to rise, individuals from marginalized communities will face the harshest impacts of climate change. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. To accomplish this, we’ve put recruiting, hiring and retaining individuals from underrepresented groups at the top of our priority list. We urge you to apply if you identify as Black, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Hispanic or Latino, LGBTQ+ – or with any other underrepresented group – even if you don’t tick all the boxes in the description below.
In this unique Controls Engineering role, you will get to design machine code, HMI, and electrical panels for our first of its kind direct air capture technology. You will be architecting custom equipment code for R&D prototypes as well as new library code when devices get added to our ecosystem. There are no boring parts to this role as you will have a hand in building the design framework for Heirloom’s custom equipment including participating in early-stage brainstorming for each successive generation of design. There will be tons of room to grow and you will have ample opportunity to provide mentorship to other controls and electrical engineers!
What you will bring
Significant experience designing industrial electrical panels has made you an expert at working with PLCs and you no doubt have experience with multiple coding languages such as C++, python, Java, Go, or Matlab. Your ability to communicate and document controls architecture is outstanding, including creating clean and understandable state machine diagrams, flowcharts for sequences and thorough written documentation. Your ability to quickly and accurately triage problems is a superpower that will be key to your success in collaborating with teams across Heirloom to get things right.
Please note: the examples in the list above are just that - examples! You don’t have to have every listed skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may
Maximize our learning rate means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Robust health coverage. Excellent health, dental and vision insurance covered up to 100% by Heirloom. FSA option.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options.
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
At Heirloom we will be deploying systems all over the world in different conditions, including hot and cold weather. This role may require you to occasionally work at heights, perform repetitive activities, including lifting 50 pounds or more, and occasionally use some basic hand and power tools.