Head of Deployment
Brisbane, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, November 3, 2023
There is simply nothing like an existential challenge to get you out of bed in the morning!
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Reporting to the CEO, the Head of Deployment will be responsible for scaling Heirloom’s facilities at gigaton scale. This person will build and lead an organization that designs, deploys, commissions and operates new Heirloom carbon removal sites across the US and internationally. Capitalizing on Heirloom’s awarded DAC Hub applications from the DOE this past year, the Head of Deployment will orchestrate teams to complete numerous pre-FEEDs and FEED processes in parallel while charting out the deployment strategy beyond currently funded projects.
We see the Head of Deployment role as having 4 main components:
Deployment: Here you will be responsible for selecting and managing EPCs/GCs or building in-house teams to prepare comprehensive site readiness for all equipment and balance of plant. Your org will also lead installation onsite, and manage and maintain all future sites.
Strategic design: You will bridge any gaps between technology development and construction to accelerate project timelines and efficiently scope builds. Design for Field Operations as a primary customer to manage the day to day of the carbon removal process.
Functional leadership: Build and scale high-performance teams, develop and continuously improve robust processes and systems that drive growth, profitability, and repeatability
Leadership Team Member: You will serve as an agile and critical member of the Heirloom leadership team, bringing your subject matter expertise to the table as we build a truly once in a generation business.
This role can be based in either our Brisbane office or remotely in the TX/LA Gulf Coast region.
What you will bring
You will be able to demonstrate a successful history of completing large capital projects on-time, on-spec and on-budget, especially modular infrastructure and repeatable mega projects. That experience has likely been gained in deploying billion-dollar+ modular projects in other industries (i.e. renewable energy, power generation, manufacturing, industrials, automation, data centers). Whatever industries you’re coming from, you have the intellectual horsepower, financial acumen, project management, and continuous improvement capabilities to be able to apply and modify your learnings and experience to fit Heirloom’s needs.
Over your career, you have gained the strong customer / commercial orientation needed to drive strategic partnerships and project development as well as experience driving down technology costs from a constructability standpoint or managing key CapEx/OpEx tradeoffs. Start up experience working with first-of-its-kind technology and/or experience in an organization going through high growth / scaling where the leader would have been responsible for developing new capabilities or processes would be ideal.
Lastly, this role can be based in either Brisbane, CA or remotely in the TX/LA Gulf Coast region. Whichever location suits you best, you must have a willingness for substantial travel to join partners on-site and visit facilities during construction and operations and spend time at the Bribane office.
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Excellent benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, healthcare and dependent FSAs, mental health support through Spring Health, One Medical membership, life and disability insurance, and 401(k).
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Flexible PTO for exempt (salaried) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.