Systems Engineer - Life Cycle Assessment
Brisbane, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Are you a dedicated sustainability professional with an interest in analyzing and improving environmental impacts? Are you ready to join a mission-driven team working towards a more sustainable future?
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
We are seeing a skilled Systems Engineer - Life Cycle Assessment to join our world-class team of engineers, scientists, and designers to help develop and optimize our direct air capture process.
As a Systems Engineer - Life Cycle Assessment, you will be responsible for understanding the environmental impacts and true removal efficiency of our direct air capture process. Using this information, you will identify areas for process improvements and work cross-functionally to drive those improvements. You will also be responsible for gathering information, performing analyses, and using real-world data to validate key assumptions and results.
What You Will Bring
You’re comfortable working in both commercial LCA softwares (e.g., GaBi, OpenLCA, and SimaPro) and custom-build LCA code. You’ve got experience setting up and performing LCAs across a variety of different system types to guide systems-level optimization and decision-making. You are comfortable with everything from data collection to statistical analysis, and can translate these complex analyses to high-level summaries for relevant stakeholders. Tough problems excite you, and you aren’t afraid to dive into the technical details. If that's you, we'd love to hear from you!
This is an interesting opportunity for someone who is passionate about using LCA to develop innovative solutions that improve people's lives. If you are a team player who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, we encourage you to apply for this Systems Engineer - Life Cycle Assessment position.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to apply - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are enthusiastic about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
Maximize our learning rate means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Flexible PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 120 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Target compensation for this role is between $115,000 and $140,000 depending on level and experience.