Geoscience Data Associate
Geoscience Data Associate (Zambia)
Geoscience Data Associate (Zambia- Lusaka or Kalulushi)
About the company:
KoBold Metals® is a rapidly growing Silicon Valley start-up using AI to enable the transition to electrification and help solve climate change. We are backed by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a16z, Bond Capital, Sam Altman, T Rowe Price, and other premier VCs.
Our team includes the best of the industry in exploration geoscience, data science, software engineering, and business personnel. KoBold’s world-renowned geoscientists have made nearly 20 discoveries. They work on joint teams with outstanding data scientists, who have PhDs in physics, math, materials science, and geophysics. And our technology backbone has been built from scratch by our team of software engineers who are alumni of top Silicon Valley tech companies.
We are hiring a Geoscience Data Associate to help accelerate our mission.
About the position
KoBold® is looking for highly motivated and experienced Geoscience Data Associates who will be part of our multidisciplinary exploration team, reporting to the Zambia Country Manager. In this role, you will be part of the core team responsible for digitizing information from paper records. You will scan reports, photographs and large format maps. You will carefully annotate and add metadata to make the scanned files useful.
You will work alongside our team to build a comprehensive and organized digital archive of Zambian geoscience data.
Work Location: Kalulushi
The Geoscience Data Associate will:
- Work closely with software engineers, data scientists, and geologists in Zambia and around the world to build a high quality, searchable, permanent digital record of Zambian geoscience data
- Contribute to our approach to digitization and provide feedback to improve operational efficiency
- Work hands-on with paper reports, maps, and photographs to digitally scan them and type in corresponding metadata
- Carefully track which documents have been scanned and the backlog of documents to be scanned
- Confirm the quality of scans and the success of the data upload pipeline
A great Geoscience Data Associate candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline
- 2 years of relevant experience in computer science, geology, hands on technical work, or equivalent academic background
- Experience with computer image processing and scanning systems.
- An strong desire to learn about geologic fundamentals, airborne imagery, and mineral exploration
- Extreme attention to detail
- Good computer skills including working knowledge of excel
It is preferred but not required to have:
- Experience with Python or other programming languages
- Experience troubleshooting and fixing basic computer and networking problems
KoBold Metals® is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
This position is a full-time contract role with the potential to convert to a permanent position within the first year.
Location: All candidates must be legally eligible to work in Zambia and have a valid Driver's license