Data Engineer, United Kingdom
KoBold Metals is a rapidly growing Silicon Valley start-up using AI to enable the transition to electrification and help solve climate change. We are backed by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a16z, Bond Capital, Sam Altman, T Rowe Price, and other premier VCs.
Our team includes the best of the industry in exploration geoscience, data science, software engineering, and business personnel. KoBold’s world-renowned geoscientists have made nearly 20 discoveries. They work on joint teams with outstanding data scientists, who have PhDs in physics, math, materials science, and geophysics. And our technology backbone has been built from scratch by our team of software engineers who are alumni of top Silicon Valley tech companies.
About The Role:
One of KoBold’s core beliefs is that making mineral exploration data broadly accessible to humans and machines will enable systematic exploration and materially improved success rates. This role will help realize this vision by combining software, systems and data engineering to solve the scalability challenges associated with an ever increasing volume of heterogeneous mineral exploration data.
Responsibilities of this role include:
- Collect, standardize, clean, and organize heterogeneous mineral exploration data. This data comes from a variety of sources (government, third parties, collected in our own operations), includes multiple different types (unstructured text, images, tabular data, …), and comes in a variety of formats and cleanliness. This role will handle the idiosyncrasies of each data set.
- Build tooling to support our field operations such as dashboards, visualizations, data processing pipelines, integrations with third party software.
- Build scalable, reliable, and performant systems to support the above operations, in collaboration with the engineering team
- Eliminate work through automation and efficiency improvements
- Optimize existing systems and processes to increase scale and velocity of our data processing
- Evangelize automation and engineering best practices throughout Kobold. Mentor other team members to adopt them
- Work with data scientists and geoscientists to generate data that meet their data quality and accessibility requirements
Our ideal candidate will have:
- At least 5 years of experience in a Data Engineering or Software Engineering role, ideally working on a data product
- Proficiency in large-scale system design
- Proficiency in Python, including data processing libraries such as pandas and distributed computing frameworks such as Dask
- Proficiency in performance optimization for data storage and serving
- Discerning ability, curiosity and initiative to identify inefficiencies and opportunities for automation. Creativity and follow-through to address these problems in a systematic way
- Track record of scaling a fast-growing product, in a startup or as a member of a small team
- Collaborative attitude to work with stakeholders with different backgrounds (data scientists, geoscientists, software engineers, operations)
It is helpful but not required to have:
- Experience working with scientific or geospatial datasets
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
The US base salary range for this full-time exempt position is $140,000-$180,000.
Location: Remote, Candidates can be located anywhere in the United States or Canada. All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States or Canada.