A fast-learning paralegal to join a global climate tech company that invents breakthrough technology, discovers billions of dollars of minerals, and helps to stop climate change.
About the Company
KoBold Metals is a mineral exploration company inventing AI to explore for the metals we need for a low-carbon economy. Our business is discovering and developing mineral resources, and our objective is to achieve a step-change improvement in exploration success: we aim to discover more tier 1 resources, faster, and with fewer failures.
KoBold has built a fast-growing global portfolio of more than 50 exploration properties targeting nickel, copper, cobalt, and lithium, which range from 100%-owned to partnerships with majors, junior explorers, and prospectors.
Our team includes the best of the industry in exploration geoscience, data science, software engineering, operations, and business. Prior to joining KoBold, our team members made nearly 20 discoveries. Our exploration programs are co-led by our geoscientists and data scientists, who develop exploration hypotheses, rigorously quantify uncertainty in our understanding of the subsurface, and design data collection programs that most effectively reduce uncertainty, drawing upon a large suite of proprietary exploration technology built by our data scientists and software engineers. Our field programs validate and improve the system and have demonstrated material improvements over conventional exploration methods.
KoBold is privately held, and our investors include: institutional asset managers T. Rowe Rice and Canada Pension Plan Investments; technology venture capitalists Andreessen Horowitz, Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Energy Ventures, BOND Capital, Standard Investments, and Sam Altman’s Apollo Projects; and leading natural resources companies Equinor, Mitsubishi, and BHP.
The paralegal will:
- Play an essential role in building the legal department at a climate tech company growing rapidly around the world
- Create and maintain systems to give company attorneys, executives, investors, and scientists well-organized access to contracts, confidential information, due diligence materials, and other documents for our work
- Respond rapidly to questions and requests from the GC, Deputy GC, and others for documents, information, and analysis relating to any of the company’s legal and business functions worldwide
- Support company attorneys and executives in negotiations with mining companies, tech companies, governments, universities, vendors, and individuals worldwide
- Work with the GC and Deputy GC to create and maintain the records, policies, and systems that position the company for our most significant transactions, including corporate financings, acquisitions, and joint ventures
- Engage with and support the company’s outside counsel around the world (U.S., Canada, Australia, UK, Greenland, Zambia) to complete administrative work within the company, saving hundreds of thousands of dollars in outside counsel expense
- Engage directly with staff at the company’s most important business partners to build relationships, resolve problems, and advance our business
- Review highly confidential and important due diligence materials for potential transactions
- Provide leverage and support to the GC and Deputy GC so that they are more effective at advancing the company’s priorities
- Work on whatever needs to be done
The candidate must have:
- A proven record, in academic work and/or employment, of the highest quality work showing commitment, collaboration, and intelligence
- Strong desire to spend at least 2-3 years working and learning at an exciting company in preparation for the next steps of your legal or business career
- Strong desire and ability to provide leverage, support, and partnership to the GC and Deputy GC
- Strong desire and ability to develop relationships throughout the company and beyond
- Strong organizational and communication skills with great attention to detail - someone who likes to organize and be organized
- Interest in working in a science-based company where most colleagues are scientists and science is the focus of many company meetings and documents
- Interest in working in a company that requires high levels of collaboration among teammates working remotely across many time zones and continents.
- Strong ability to learn new tools and solve new problems continuously
- Interest in working in a global company and learning many foreign legal systems and business environments
- Strong ability to be a leader in the setting a high standard of ethics
- An optimistic attitude toward work and people
It is not necessary to have experience with mining or mineral exploration; the successful candidate will be able to learn what’s needed about the industry on the job.
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunities for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
This position is full-time, exempt.
Salary range: $65,000 - $95,000
Location: Remote, anywhere in the U.S.
All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.