Frontend Software Engineer
About the Company
KoBold Metals is a mineral exploration company using AI to explore for the metals we need for our transition to a low-carbon economy. KoBold’s business is discovering, defining, expanding, and developing mineral resources, and KoBold’s objective is to achieve a step-change improvement in exploration success: we aim to discover more tier 1 resources, faster, and with fewer failures.
KoBold has a global portfolio of more than 50 exploration properties targeting nickel, copper, cobalt, and lithium, which range from 100%-owned to partnerships with both majors, junior explorers, and prospectors.
Our team includes the best of the industry in exploration geoscience, data science, software engineering, operations, and business personnel. Prior to joining KoBold, KoBold team members have made nearly 20 discoveries. Our exploration programs are co-led by our geoscientists and data scientists, who develop exploration hypotheses, rigorously quantify uncertainty in our understanding of the subsurface, and design data collection programs that most effectively reduce uncertainty, drawing upon a large suite of proprietary exploration technology built by our data scientists and software engineers. Our field programs validate and improve the system and have demonstrated material improvements over conventional exploration methods.
KoBold is privately held and our investors include: institutional asset managers T. Rowe Rice and Canada Pension Plan Investments; technology venture capitalists Andreessen Horowitz, Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Energy Ventures, BOND Capital, Standard Investments, and Sam Altman’s Apollo Projects; and leading natural resources companies Equinor, Mitsubishi, and BHP.
We are hiring a Frontend Software Engineer to help accelerate our mission.
About the Role
At KoBold, we believe that empowering geologists and data scientists with accessible mineral exploration data can ignite a transformative breakthrough in discovering vital energy transition metals like lithium, copper, nickel, and cobalt. As a member of our software engineering team, you will play a pivotal role in bringing this vision to life. By crafting interactive data exploration web apps, you will enable KoBold to unlock invaluable insights and streamline intricate scientific processes. Collaborating with our exceptional team of data scientists and geologists, you will have the opportunity to tackle complex scientific problems head-on and collectively pave the way for discoveries. Together we can shape the future of mineral exploration and contribute to building a sustainable world.
The Frontend Software Engineer will:
- Build intuitive and elegant user experiences to empower fellow KoBolders with backgrounds in geology, geophysics, geochemistry, and data science.
- Improve KoBold’s existing web apps that manage data upload, discovery, search, and visualization.
- Develop new tools to support complex interactive 2D/3D geospatial visualizations, plotting, and data labeling.
- Champion frontend best practices. Help to modernize our stack to standardize our UIs, prototype faster, and deploy useful apps for our geologists and data scientists.
- Setup systems to automate the testing of our UIs.
- You write production-quality code that is correct, performant, scalable, and extensible.
- You are skilled with with data visualization libraries (D3, Leaflet, etc).
- You develop and maintain frontend applications that provide a rich user experience.
- Experience with geospatial data and building map-based experiences.
- Familiarity with containerization and container orchestration platforms, such as Docker, AWS ECS, Kubernetes, etc.
- Experience with frontend automated-testing systems (Cypress, Selenium, etc).
A great candidate will also be:
- Highly intellectually curious and eager to learn about all aspects of mineral exploration, particularly in the geology domain. Will be open to working directly with geologists in the field.
- Excited to work on a wide range of problems in a dynamic work environment, to take on a wide range of responsibilities, and to learn new tech and science.
- Keen not just to build cool technology, but to figure out what technical product to build to best achieve the business objectives of the company.
- A strong communicator who enjoys working with colleagues across the company.
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunities for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
This position is full-time, exempt.
Location: Remote, Candidates can be located anywhere in the United States or Canada.
The US base salary range for this full-time exempt position is $125,000-$170,000.