Principal Geologist, Zambia
About the company:
KoBold Metals Zambia is a Zambian-led company exploring for the ore deposits that will become the next generation of new mines in Zambia.
KoBold Metals Zambia is the Zambian affiliate of KoBold Metals, a U.S.-based company exploring around the world for battery metals using proprietary AI to guide exploration decisions. Our business is discovering, defining, expanding, and developing mineral resources, and our objective is to achieve a step-change improvement in exploration success resulting in more tier 1 resources discovered faster, with fewer failures, and with far less exploration capital.
KoBold is privately held and its investors include: institutional asset managers T. Rowe Rice and Canada Pension Plan Investments; technology venture capitalists Andreessen Horowitz, Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Energy Ventures, BOND Capital, Standard Investments, and Sam Altman’s Apollo Projects; and leading natural resources companies Equinor, Mitsubishi, and BHP.
KoBold Metals Zambia is building a rapidly growing team of Zambian geologists, operators, and executives to identify, acquire, explore, and develop exploration opportunities and mineral resources drawing upon KoBold’s technology and the expertise of colleagues worldwide.
We are hiring a Chief Geologist to help accelerate our mission.
About the position
KoBold® is looking for a highly motivated and experienced Geologist who will be part of our multidisciplinary exploration team, reporting to the Zambia Country Manager. In this role, you will be part of the core team responsible for planning and conducting exploration programs on our properties. You will help develop new targets and plans to test them and will oversee drilling, data collection on drill core, and other field activities from soil sampling to geophysical surveys. You will work closely with both geologists and data scientists in Zambia and around the world to help design and implement our proprietary software tools to get insights from geoscience data and to guide exploration programs in real time. You will be a key part of the team that puts these insights into practice in making exploration decisions in the field.
Work Location: Residential 5:2 based in Chingola or Chililabombwe. Six weeks on, two weeks off FIFO rotation negotiable.
The Chief Geologist will:
- Have an expertise in sediment-hosted copper deposits
- Oversee and conduct geological drill core logging
- Be responsible for management of geologic staff
- Handle day-to-day management of drilling campaigns
- Support the Country Manager in meeting company objectives
- Perform a range of geological analyses to generate and refine targets and geologic models resulting from the data collection programs
- Work collaboratively with data scientists and provide mentorship to geology team members
- Drive the individual and collective talent development of KoBold Metal's Zambia's Geology team
A great Chief Geologist candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Geology
- At least 15 years of experience in sediment-hosted copper mineral systems
- Significant advanced project experience with exposure to resource development and technical studies requirements
- Familiarity with JORC or NI: 43-101 reporting standards
- Excellent communication, management, and reporting skills
- Ability to use geoscience data to think predictively and insightfully about exploration targeting
- Experience with drill core handling procedures such as core logging and sampling
- Experience supervising multiple drill rigs
- Insatiable intellectual curiosity
- Good computer skills including working knowledge of QGIS and Leapfrog Geo
We are committed to equal employment opportunities for all people.
This position is a full-time contract role with the potential to convert to a permanent position within the first year.
Location: All candidates must be legally eligible to work in Zambia and have a valid Driver's license
At this time we are only accepting applications from Zambian nationals