Senior Tax Manager
About the company
KoBold Metals is a rapidly growing Silicon Valley start-up using AI to enable the transition to electrification and help solve climate change. We are backed by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a16z, Bond Capital, Sam Altman, T Rowe Price, and other premier VCs.
Our team includes the best of the industry in exploration geoscience, data science, software engineering, and business personnel. KoBold’s world-renowned geoscientists have made nearly 20 discoveries. They work on joint teams with outstanding data scientists, who have PhDs in physics, math, materials science, and geophysics. And our technology backbone has been built from scratch by our team of software engineers who are alumni of top Silicon Valley tech companies.
We are hiring a Senior Tax Manager to help accelerate our mission.
About the position
In this role, you will oversee all domestic and global tax compliance and tax planning for our company. You will oversee tax filings, reporting requirements, statutory filings, corporate strategy and structure, transfer pricing, indirect tax and other international taxation issues. You will provide guidance on tax laws, reporting, legislation and planning strategies as it relates to existing and potential jurisdictions. In a newly created role as leader of the tax group at the company, you will be both a direct contributor across many areas of domestic and international tax matters and will be responsible for helping to build the tax function at the company. Since KoBold is a startup company operating globally, your role will be dynamic and your role and responsibilities will grow as the company grows.
The Senior Tax Manager will:
- Oversee corporate tax structure and strategic tax planning for our company
- Oversee tax compliance in multiple countries and jurisdictions
- Interpret and implement domestic and treaty provisions in all countries where we operate
- Review and approve transfer pricing calculations
- Oversee the set up of tax accounts and manage relationships with external tax firms in countries where we operate
- Oversee reporting for indirect taxes in multiple jurisdictions
- Prepare tax provision and tax estimates
- Provide support to International HR Manager for cross border employment issues
- Oversee calculation and documentation of R&D Credit and other tax credits and incentives
- Proactively anticipate and communicate about tax matters that the company may face as our international operations and financing grow
- Figure out what internal capacity we need to build and build a lean, high-performing team to accomplish it
- Implement and maintain new processes as the company grows
- Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
A great candidate will have:
- Either a bachelor's degree in accounting and CPA certification, or a law degree
- 10+ years experience with recent experience in international tax accounting
- Experience helping a company establish a presence in one or more new countries
- Ability to understand and assess the tax impact of company operations in multiple jurisdictions
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- The ability to quickly learn new tools as needed and to solve new problems continuously
- A high degree of independence and the ability to work effectively with limited supervision
- Propensity to figure out what needs to be done and pursue it without being asked
- Flexibility to accommodate meetings with staff/vendors overseas
- Interest in contributing broadly to the success of the company and eager to pitch in where needed
It is helpful but not required to have experience with:
- Tax implications of stock option grants in multiple jurisdictions
- Financial models incorporating strategic tax scenarios
- Experience with technology or natural resource companies
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunities for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
This position is full-time, exempt.
The US base salary range for this full-time exempt position is $175,000 - $200,000
Location: Remote, anywhere in the US.
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.