Accounting Manager, Lusaka
About the Company
KoBold Metals Zambia Ltd. (KoBold Metals Zambia) is a mineral exploration company looking to discover ore deposits with the metals needed for clean energy and electrification: copper, cobalt, nickel, and lithium. We are building an outstanding exploration team and project portfolio in Zambia, both on 100%-owned projects and partnerships with other exploration and mining companies.
KoBold Metals Zambia is the Zambian subsidiary of KoBold Metals, a global mineral exploration company based in the United States. Our global team includes the best of the industry in exploration geoscience, data science, software engineering, and business personnel. KoBold’s world-renowned geoscientists have made nearly 20 discoveries. They work on joint teams with outstanding data scientists, who have PhDs in physics, math, materials science, and geophysics. And our technology backbone has been built from scratch by our team of software engineers who are alumni of top Silicon Valley tech companies. We are backed by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a16z, Bond Capital, Sam Altman, T Rowe Price, and other premier investors.
About the position
Reporting directly to the Director of Finance, the Accounting Manager will be responsible for establishing and maintaining sound financial systems and controls and overseeing the day- to-day Finance functions. He/she will produce timely reports including variance and budget monitoring reports to assist management with the assessment of the financial performance of the mineral exploration projects and respective departments. Since KoBold Metals Zambia is a startup company, this role will be dynamic, and the role and responsibilities will grow as the company grows.
The Accounting Manager will:
- Perform accounting and financial reporting for KoBold Metals Zambia and affiliated entities in Zambia;
- Understand indirect taxes, transfer pricing and other accounting issues in Zambia;
- Perform corporate allocations and transfer pricing entries;
- Help build the accounting and finance function;
- Review, establish and manage the effectiveness of internal controls and ensure strict adherence to the compliance requirements of the business;
- Oversee the monthly close-out process, budget variance analysis and financial reporting including various statutory obligations, regulatory reporting and IFRS reporting;
- Prepare forecasts and budgets through engagement of the various stakeholders of the business in line with the business strategic plans;
- Liaise with executive management on the preparation, tracking, board approval process and management of quarterly and annual budgets that aligns to the strategic objectives;
- Prepare Financial Reports for management and Board reporting;
- Plan and manage cashflow in line with the business requirements from time to time;
- Ensure the accuracy of data, accounting information and reporting by adhering to the requirements of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs), Companies Act and other relevant frameworks;
- Prepare annual financial statements in accordance with IFRSs;
- Monitor and guide the day-to-day financial operations within the company, such as expenditure, and other operational transactions to ensure accuracy and timely data processing;
- Lead engagements with the auditors working with the business units and maintain a good working relationship and effectively manage the audit process;
- Ensure cost optimization across the legal entities and business units to ensure maximum value is derived from expenditure;
- Review all necessary monthly/quarterly/annual filings and reports; and
- Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner.
The candidate must have:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Accounting or Professional Qualification in Accounting (ACCA, CIMA or ZICA).
- Valid membership with ZICA.
- At least 10 years of combined experience in an audit environment as well as in an accounting operations role or corporate finance role of which at least 2 years should be in a management role.
- Proficient skills with Google suite, prior experience using ERPs, cloud accounting software with a demonstrated aptitude to embrace new technologies.
- The ability to quickly learn new tools as needed and solve new problems continuously.
- Flexibility to accommodate calls with colleagues in other countries.
- The ability to implement and maintain new processes as the company grows.
- Interest in contributing broadly to the success of the company and eager to pitch in where needed.
A great candidate will be:
- Highly self-motivated and autonomous
- Excited about working on a wide range of problems and having a wide scope of responsibility
- Well versed in basic principles of accounting and contracts
- Well-organized and a proactive communicator
- Careful and consistent about getting the details right
- Experienced working in a fast paced, continually changing environment (this is a material plus)
We are committed to equal employment opportunities for all people.
This position is full-time.
Location: KoBold Metals Zambia corporate headquarters, Lusaka, Zambia. Locations on the Copperbelt and remote roles will also be considered.
At this time, we are only accepting applications from Zambian nationals.