Data Operations Analyst
About the Company
KoBold Metals is a mineral exploration company using AI to explore for the metals we need for our transition to a low-carbon economy. KoBold’s business is discovering, defining, expanding, and developing mineral resources, and KoBold’s objective is to achieve a step-change improvement in exploration success: we aim to discover more tier 1 resources, faster, and with fewer failures.
KoBold has a global portfolio of more than 50 exploration properties targeting nickel, copper, cobalt, and lithium, which range from 100%-owned to partnerships with both majors, junior explorers, and prospectors.
Our team includes the best of the industry in exploration geoscience, data science, software engineering, operations, and business personnel. Prior to joining KoBold, KoBold team members have made nearly 20 discoveries. Our exploration programs are co-led by our geoscientists and data scientists, who develop exploration hypotheses, rigorously quantify uncertainty in our understanding of the subsurface, and design data collection programs that most effectively reduce uncertainty, drawing upon a large suite of proprietary exploration technology built by our data scientists and software engineers. Our field programs validate and improve the system and have demonstrated material improvements over conventional exploration methods.
KoBold is privately held and our investors include institutional asset managers T. Rowe Rice and Canada Pension Plan Investments; technology venture capitalists Andreessen Horowitz, Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Energy Ventures, BOND Capital, Standard Investments, and Sam Altman’s Apollo Projects; and leading natural resources companies Equinor, Mitsubishi, and BHP.
We are hiring a Data Operations Analyst to help accelerate our mission.
About the position:
This role will support the Head of Operations Data and the Director of Mineral Rights in an effort to organize and enrich the data operations quality, management, and visibility at KoBold with a particular focus on mineral rights-related data.
You will help to create easy pathways for data access and visibility, whether that’s through a new application, building an in-house suite of tools, identifying a gap, and working with project teams to find new solutions, etc.
As the Operations Data Analyst, you will work closely with the Head Operations Data to support existing tools and data access, analyze new datasets and determine the best way to provide insight opportunities for project and operations teams, and be available for teaching, guiding, and troubleshooting any data access issues that arise.
You will also work closely with the Director of Mineral Rights to maintain, onboard/offboard and analyze mineral tenure, including updating, reporting, and conducting data management on various systems to make sure that tenure, surface rights, and environmental information is complete, accurate, and available to project teams.
- Expert/advanced in manipulating, formatting, and organizing raw data (in Excel/Sheets/databases, etc.)
- A proponent of collecting and analyzing metadata, usage, and patterns on data and applications
- Savvy with GIS systems (including ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.)
- Familiarity with database systems (preferably PostgreSQL, but any will do)
- Advanced user of cloud technology tools (Google Drive - includes Sheets, Presentations, Docs, Appsheets, etc., AWS S3, etc.)
- Familiarity with task management applications (Jira, Trello, etc.)
- Familiarity with and ability to ETL data from one platform to another
- Familiarity with Python or R
- Understands and can create meaningful visuals that explain workflows, dataflows or system touchpoints in an intuitive way
A good candidate should
- Be curious, inquisitive, and eager to help
- Generally have a “yes and” mentality - everything is possible, now let’s discuss logistics
- Think about how data is stored and manipulated to be useful in different programs in different ways
- Listen to user needs and convert those into actionable elements of work
- In general, translate easily between technical and non-technical discussion and ideation
- Be proactive, engaged, and easy to talk to and work with
- Have a teaching mentality - encouraging users to learn and do more with our tools to tell a compelling story about their work, has great enthusiasm for sharing information
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Geography, Data Management, or Library Science
- 2-5 years of experience working in a business environment, responsible for some level of data management, analysis, curation, and customer service
- Preferentially, experience or interest in mineral rights concepts
KoBold Metals is an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative-action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for people of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
This position is full-time, exempt.
The US base salary range for this full-time exempt position is $80,000 to $100,000.
Location: KoBold is a remote-first workplace, we are open to candidates currently residing anywhere in the United States or Canada. All candidates must be authorized to legally work in either the United States or Canada